21 Jan 2024

21.01.2024 Reorganising the recycling.

 ~o~

 Sunday 21st 35F/2C. Heavily overcast and very breezy. The snow has gone but leaves are blowing about on the ground. Up at 7.30 after several false starts. [Or stops?]

 And there they were: Gone.

 9.00 I have lit the stove. 59F/15C in the room. 40F in the greenhouse. I have lower back pain again. I really must have a walk. Warmly dressed for windy conditions. Which are starting southerly and turning SW as the temperature hovers around 1C all morning.

 9.15 - 9.40 Returning from a short walk looping along the new and old drives. The strong wind made it feel very cold. Even though I was well dressed my peripheries were exposed. Tomorrow will be warmer but much windier and wet. With gusts to 25m/s or 56mph as another low passes. Heavy rainfall is forecast again.

 The Sorel boots, which I complained about when new, have become my footwear of choice. The feeling of cold and wetness in the right toe has passed. They have become comfortable and much lighter than my Scarpa walking boots. 

 The recycling baskets work fine in the bottom of the pine cupboard. I just had to lift out the shelves just above the baskets for easy access. Magnets hold the doors closed. So no effort is required to open the cupboard. The hall door no longer crashes against the metal waste bin. Which is now performing its duties by collecting snotty tissues at the computer.

 The pine cupboard had been waiting patiently for some useful purpose. Fortunately the recycling materials are not smelly rubbish. Just paper and cardboard on the right. Plastic in the basket on the left.

 I have finally found the roll of cable I needed. To install the Philips greenhouse downlighters. I really must make an effort to tidy the shed. 

 This is hilarious! Is Philips deliberately aiming for bankruptcy? The blind screw holes in the backplate don't break out. Not even with a narrow punch and a hammer! So they will have to be drilled and filed oval. 

 Then the cable will push the backplate away from the wall. There is no side or bottom exit and the rubber grommet exits directly rearwards. So only a through-the-wall cable route will work. The instructions are printed in sub-micro text in grey on white paper. With a load of nonsense symbols to guide the installer: Dugh?  It was no wonder these lamps were being sold at half price!

  14.00 35F/2C. It's horrible out there! Freezing cold and blowing a gale. With sleet and snow. The drive has already turned white. I just brought in another two baskets of logs from the greenhouse. The room has only reached 64F/18C. 

 While the potatoes were simmering I washed up. Then dragged the heavy wheely bin along to the pickup point. I am making progress with the new frying pan. It says not to use too much oil. So I have cut back to almost nothing. The food still cooks and is less greasy. Probably my best, fried chicken slices so far.

~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment