9 Jan 2024

9.01.2024 Swept away.

 ~o~

 Tuesday 9th 17F/-8C. Cold, calm, misty and overcast. Up at 7.40 after a very restless night. 

 The sweep is coming this morning. So I haven't lit the stove. Lots of tidying to do. 55F/13C in the room at 8.45. The dustbin men still haven't been. The telephone service doesn't open until 10.00.

 9.15. Showered, changed, vacuumed and tidied some more. Every visitor demands effort to achieve some degree of normality from the usual squalor. Thank goodness for visitors! 😄

 10.20 20F/-7C. I even cleaned the inside of the glass on the stove. Though it wasn't too bad. Mostly around the frame where it is cooler. The glass is now invisible. The sweep has left after his usual thorough job. The stove is lit. 54F/12C in the room. It is almost like an open fire with the glass so clean. 

 Brightness is threatening but with lots of cloud. The mist is almost gone.

 10.30 First sunshine. The greenhouse is at 33F/1C.

 11.00 60F/15C in the room. Greenhouse at 39F/4C. I rang the recycling firm responsible for emptying the bins. It seems there was too much snow and ice on the entrance to the drive. The rules are that I am not responsible for clearing the 200m drive on somebody else's property. I have no choice. I must empty the full bins into sacks and transport them myself to the recycling yard 5km away. Which is only open on Wednesdays and Thursdays. 

 It is bad enough having to drag the heavy bins the 120m uphill to the main drive. So the bin men don't have to drive down my section. Which I have cleared of snow despite it not being my responsibility. It was ever thus. 27 years and counting. The next official bin emptying, weather permitting of course, is in a fortnight. 

   The parcel I delivered yesterday to the PostDanmark packet shop still hasn't moved. According to their own track and trace. £10 equivalent to send a couple of kg across country? Nice work if you can get it!

 The cooking classes start again next week. The frosts are continuing beyond that date according to the DMI. It might reach a toasty -2C this afternoon. The sunshine is fleeting. Dragging the greenhouse only up to 43F/6C so far. 

 16.00 30F/-1C. The greenhouse reached a maximum of 46F. Before the sun gave up the struggle and it all turned to solid overcast. The room briefly hit 69F/20C earlier but quickly dropped to 64F/18C. I am trying hard not to have an afternoon nap. Last night was a nightmare in all the wrong ways. I felt I was awake more than I was asleep.  

 Dinner was a variation on a theme. Broccoli with chicken and mushrooms. The ten minute broccoli was fine as to texture but lacked enough salt.

~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment