11 Jan 2024

11.01.2024 Hint of a thaw?

 ~o~

 Thursday 11th 34F/+1C. Slightly misty and overcast but threatening to clear up and brighten. Up at 8.20 after another restless night. 

 9.15 58F/14C in the room. I could not put off lighting the stove any longer. I had logs but had run out of kindling indoors. 40F/4C in the greenhouse. It felt a bit chilly out there.

 9.30 I had better think about having a walk. My chest is a bit bunged up, my nose is slightly runny and I have occasional, light nose bleeds. I expect it's terminal. 

 10.00 The snow on the ground is thinning. Ice still clinging on. Roads almost 99% clear where it matters. Still messy beside the verges and in the middle of the traffic lanes. The smudgy grey clouds are thinning to blue patches. 

 I was going to loop around the parallel drives but a giant agricultural sprayer appeared on a nearby field. A neighbour's flag was pointing my way. So I beat a hasty retreat. I need to shop this morning. No bread rolls left for lunch. Now up to 60F/15C in the room. As the first glimpse of sunshine lights the greenhouse. [42F/6C] The outside temperature could hit +3C/37F later. The last of the snow is sliding off the southern side of the roof. 

 12.00 35F/1.7C. Back from the shops in continuing sunshine. I dumped the bag of plastic waste at the recycling yard. They had no clue what to do with it. So it went for burning. 

I bought a grey, plastic basket/tub as a recycling container for plastic in the kitchen. This will save some sorting in the wind and cold outside. Separating paper from plastic foil often causes things to fly away. I made an appointment for a haircut tomorrow at 9am. 65F/18C in the room. 60F/15C in the greenhouse. The roads are much improved.

 Dinner was chicken and chips. With peas and small, fresh tomatoes. It is official. The Tuesday cooking classes have been cancelled. 

~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment