31 May 2022

31.05.2022 A fan of window fans?

 ~~

 Tuesday 31st 49F, heavy overcast but calm. Up at 5am after a restless night. A grey day is forecast with rain in the late afternoon.

 5.45  Too early for breakfast. Doing the washing up instead. Because I didn't do it last night. So many things to remember. Too few, active brain cells. I have no fixed routine except nominal meal times. 

I have been given instructions, by my technical consultant, on rubber glove removal: Pull them off inside out. Then push the fingers back into the palm section. Now swing the gloves in a circular motion. Like a shopkeeper sealing a paper bag. The palm will now be sealed and inflate. Press the palm and the fingers will pop out the correct way. I found that simply swinging the gloves caused the fingers to correct themselves.

 No early walk this morning. I want to catch up on some projects.

 It was cooler yesterday. So it was easy to see the steam rising from the pans on the hob. I was considering placing the window fan low down. So it was nearer the pans. A complete waste of time. The steam was rising straight up. So the extractor fan will replace the top, nearest, window pane.

 I just need to organise the arrangement of parts. For minimum thickness, area and best cosmetic appearance. Using small, stainless steel bolts through the polycarbonate will hold it all together. 

 I could even tap the clear plastic to match the bolt threads. 8mm plate thickness is perfectly adequate to hold the very modest weight of the motor/fan unit.   

 7.45 I have drilled and tapped the plate M4 for the motor unit fixing screws. A 4" circle has been drawn and a 7mm pilot hole drilled ready for the jigsaw. 

 I used the jigsaw on next to minimum speed. With a fine toothed metal blade and no oscillation. It went perfectly but I could easily have cut closer to the marked circle. Which would have saved a lot of sanding to smooth the circular cut-out. I was being careful not to make the hole too large.

 I cut down an oversized, adapter plate, with a 100mm spigot, to match the outer dimensions of the fan motor casing. I did not want anything projecting outside the motor housing's footprint. The 99mm Ø spigot  on the wind stop is pressed into this spigot. The Danish name for the wind stop is a "lamella valve." Lamella being the ribs under the head of a mushroom.

11.00 Now I am enjoying morning coffee. The fan is complete with its external wind stop. This has three, top hinged slats which are normally closed. When the fan is turned on the slats rise under the air pressure to let the air out. I shan't remove the protective, white, plastic film from the clear polycarbonate until the wring is completed. 

15.00 I have connected a 2-core flex to the fan. The electrician will have to return to provide a switch to the mains.

 I am still thinking about the out-of-level slats on the balcony ceilings. 

15.30 The sky is black and white. With flat sunshine in the foreground and leaden skies to the north. I think I might risk an afternoon walk. 

16.25  I was too warm even in a light jacket. Walked to the lanes under a dramatic sky. Far more traffic than any morning rush hour. Not going to bother going for a walk in the afternoon again.

18.30 Fan fitted in the window. Poor image with flash.


~~

No comments:

Post a Comment