28 May 2022

28.05.2022 A loose screw bit.

 ~~

 Saturday 28th 52F. Bright sunshine. It is supposed to be a grey day. Up at 6am. Feeling more positive today. 

 I shall be continuing to work on the other side of the 45º balcony ceilings. It gets warm out there in the afternoon in sunshine. So I'll have to get busy this morning. 

 Apologies for the quality of the image. Taken early in the morning against the brightening dawn. 

The 3m /10' high glass hasn't been cleaned since I put it all up. Working entirely alone from a ladder. Probably 20 years ago. My wife did all the painting. Before it went up! It could probably do with "a bit of wipe over" by now.

 Were you expecting something "posher?"  All of these windows were bought secondhand from a salvage yard. The timber cladding is Douglas fir. Which had been stored under cover for decades. It was very hard and had a lovely surface grain. Rather lost beneath the paint.

 In future I will probably need an external "sail" to shade the huge area of glass in summer. The chestnut tree was more useful for afternoon, western shade than I realised. 

 Perhaps I can arrange moveable [well insulated and fly proof] vents at the ridge. With cooler air entering at the eaves to let the hot air out via the chimney effect. I'll have to do some homework on the subject. 

 My wife's answer was to staple white curtains. All over the inside of the entire, glass gable end. It still became hot out there in summer. It also robbed us of the view out over the garden and the trees. With unwanted shading in winter. Curtains inside windows are not nearly as efficient at cooling as external shading.

 A large, extractor fan just below the ridge might help. There is the perfect situation for a large fan in the internal triangle of the dividing wall above the balcony's double access doors. This would blow warm air from the closed balcony into the full roof space. With generous venting at the eaves. 

 Which would help to cool the entire attic in summer. Where mid 80s F is all too commonplace. We should have moved the beds downstairs but it was completely impossible. I wonder if I could use a normal cooling fan in a round hole? These are large, quiet and could be rubber mounted. To avoid noise being conducted through the structure. 

 9.15. I am having morning coffee and a rest. One slat and three battens are up on the second side. There is a lot of ladder work to reach the upper battens. Again, I am using a taut cord to get the depths of the battens correct. I am also using a roofing square to match the battens to the triangular window frame. This will be the most visible reference point when the boards go up. They are very square and would look completely wrong if they didn't fit flush against the window frame.

 12.15 I had to go out to buy more 10mm [4"] screws. I didn't have any long enough for the bigger battens. The countryside is always gorgeous on that route.  

 I have fixed the last batten. So the slats on the second slope can go up now. The sun has been out most of the time. It feels very warm working upstairs. Though it is only 70F. 

 Oh dear! The lower battens on the second sloping ceiling need to be completely redone. They are level and square to the window frame but project downwards too far. Meaning that the fibre-cement boards will overhang the window frame. Instead of being neatly set back like the other half. I shall have to take down the largest battens and replace them with the thinner ones.

16.00 60F.  The battens and slats are now up but their flatness is not perfect.

 I was given the wrong Torx bits by the girl in the builder's merchants. I only discovered this when I tried to drive in the first screw. I wasted ages unable to remove screws in the wrong place. Having to rely on worn out bits from past projects. They close early on Saturday. So I can't go back. It feels hot out there and much cooler in the bedroom where it is now "only" 72F.


~~

No comments:

Post a Comment