14 May 2022

14.05.2022 And there it was: Gone!


 ~~

 Saturday 14th 52F. Grey. Up at 5.45am from a 10.30 bedtime. I am aching all over from swinging that chainsaw for hour after hour.

 I have to get my chainsaw chains re-sharpened. The relevant builder's merchant is about ten miles away. Not many outlets stock the DeWALT 40cm chain. There was more steam than progress yesterday on the bigger branches. And, yes, I am keeping the oil feed to the chain topped up. 

 There is a huge branch facing the house. It is about 18" x 12" at the base.  I didn't dare try to cut it. Because it would have left it hanging dangerously. Progress was already far too slow cutting even minor branches. 

 My technique is too undercut the branch first. Then cut down from the top until it cracks loudly. I then descend the ladder and pull on a long rope attached to the branch. Until it finally snaps at the cut. Far safer than completing the cut from up the ladder.

 Images taken this morning through the gable end glazing. With and without early sunshine.

 Removal of the offending tree will bring light and space into the garden. My wife's flower bed [over to the right] was in deep shade for most of the day over the last two years. 

 How bringing light into the garden will change anything I have no idea. The garden is already encircled by tall trees. My wife planted a row of willows years ago from cuttings. They must be 50' high now. They are backed by a shelter belt of oaks and larch trees. On land once owned by the farm behind us but which is no longer a farm.

 06.40 and the sun is already out. Light is already reaching plants which have never seen the sun. There is a run of prostrate yews running along the far fence which my wife also planted. Somehow they have survived in the deep shade.

 I'll keep the bigger branches from the chestnut for firewood. All the smaller stuff will have to go to the recycling yard. Which is fortunately open 24x7 for garden waste. Horse 

 Chestnut is very soft wood. So easy to work with hand loppers up to about an inch in diameter. Cleaning branches off side shoots with the chainsaw is quicker but always a risk of an accident. One also has to watch out for branches under compression. 

 09.20. Just back from the builders merchant. I have a new chain for the saw and they will sharpen the others later. I shopped on the way home. Now enjoying morning coffee before I attack that ugly branch.

 11.00 Dropped two more big branches.  The upright one's are the greatest danger. Because I can't judge where they will fall. The branch on the right is okay because I will cut the horizontal section.

 12.15 62F. Just back from a second trip to collect the sharpened chains. I even remembered the items I forgot with the first shopping trip. I bought a food grater too. I have been searching but haven't found "ours" yet. No idea what she has done with it. 

12.40 64F. That was scary! I cut through the right hand branch and it gave hardly any warning after the first crack. I shot down the ladder and ran! Fortunately it just dropped straight down. Probably thanks to my undercut. 

 The vertical branches do have a horizontal section for me to cut through. Though I'll be even higher than the last one. It should fall towards the fence. I'll see if I can be on the opposite side of the tree during the sawing. Lunch first, to regain my composure. 

 15.00 62F. Stopped to cool off and have a drink of apple juice. The rear major branch, with the vertical branches, wont crack nor drop. I am 2/3 the way through from the top. There is a deep notch underneath. Still it won't give up. The ladder is alongside. Otherwise I can't reach the saw cut. This feels very unsafe. So I am giving it a wide berth. The wind might catch the upper branches and bring it all down.

 I have hammered an axe into the top cut as a wedge. This should to stop it coming back towards the trunk. I am just letting it hang there for a while. While I tidy up the smaller branches. 

 I'm starting at the top of each big branch and lopping the side shoots. Lopping any further branches off the small ones compacts the debris. These are being stacked and will all become trailer fodder. The middle sized branches are being stacked separately. These can be tackled later with the chainsaw. I am already aching and should probably have a rest. 

 I went out to check and the top branches of the last big branch were now leaning deliberately towards the fence. Eventually it gave way with a huge crack. Now there are only the two smallest branches left.

 An afternoon nap followed by a belated stint at washing up. Then I went around taking snaps of my wife's first flowers of the season.

 18.25. 58F. I just dropped the last branch. The trunk is now bare. I have a large pile of trimmings ready to go in the trailer. Plus a stack of thicker branches. I am exhausted, parched and aching all over. Time for a shower before dinner. 

 Grilled, Mature Cheddar Cheese on wholemeal toast. With grilled halved tomatoes. Followed by half a tin of Heinz tomato soup. Washed down with a small tin of organic Danish beer. 

 I just did something I have never done before: I went for an evening stroll around "the neighbourhood." I was hoping a walk would relieve the aching muscles. It didn't.  


 

~~

No comments:

Post a Comment