2 May 2022

2.05.2022 Ever onwards!

 ~~

 Monday 2nd 35F, light frost on the grass. Bright sunshine with patchy mist. Up at 5.30. I have a bad back.[Again.] 

6.00  No real plans yet. I need a fence post and a sturdier post for the post box. This needs a builder's merchant. I can deal with several topics while I am there. Including their quote for a smaller, bedroom window and the storage area, ceiling lining.

 I have just a little garden waste, some scrap metal and cardboard to get rid of. It would be pointless going further afield. It can all wait until Wednesday when the local recycling yard opens.  

 7.00 40F. I'm bored and depressed. I'm going for an early walk. 

 8.30 52F. I needed a change of scenery. So I detoured off the lanes along the wide and bare, spray tracks. Where I saw two deer. I was able to cut through a hedge to reach the next field. Then completed the full circle. The promised, distant views of the sea were spoiled by low, grey mist. So it was back to the lanes and the long plod home. Lots of birdsong in the hedges. Gone for just over an hour. Bright sunshine throughout. 

 I have decided to go to the builder's merchants. I'll take the trailer and collect some rockwool. As well as the posts I need. Assuming they have any stock. They did and I brought it all home. The window is now on order and should be delivered within a month. 

12.30 59F. Prior to planting the post box post I have tidied back the overgrown hedge outside the gates. I didn't want to risk the postman reversing into the hedge just to reach the post box. It is a hundred meter/yard reverse with nothing very solid to guide the driver. 

 After a chat with the postman it was decided I'd place the box on the left. This in the hope that they won't need to get out of the van. Just to deliver a letter. Which will save them some time. The law was changed some years ago, in Denmark, to have the post box on the property boundary. Which can save a great deal of time where there are lots of front gardens. 

 The postman can often deliver letters from the open window of their van. They seem to be settling on using larger vans with higher windows. This is probably due to the number of parcels they now deliver. In comparison with the shrinking number of letters.

 To that end I now have a tall post and some post concrete. I shall wait until the sun goes down rather than digging in the hottest part of the day.

 Once the separate storage area insulation and vapour barrier have been competed. I shall cover it with wood [wool] fibre-cement boards. Names vary by location. If that goes well I may completely cover the sloping, bedroom ceilings. 

 These boards are popular in libraries, offices and big shed outlets. For their excellent sound absorption and low toxicity. They are available in fine surface structure. Useful where they will be in closer proximity to the eye. Rather than high overhead.

  It cooled off as the sun sank. So I dug a hole for the post box post. I half back filled it with rocks around the post and then added 30kg of ready-mixed post concrete in two lots with appropriate water. I did plenty of poking with a steel bar to get the mix to sink in around the post and rocks. I just hope the postman is satisfied with the position and height. 


~~

No comments:

Post a Comment