24 May 2022

24.05.2022 Keep on sorting!

 ~~

Tuesday 24th 54F, grey, wet and windy. The forecast is early rain. Followed by a grey day. Until more rain in the late afternoon. If it is going to rain I hope it is enough to make a difference. 

 Up at 5.15. An indoor day? The pile of branches outside to be processed looks bigger than ever. They will be very wet. So best left alone until the sun comes back.

 Having removed the second wardrobe I now have a large space beside my computer chair. How best to use it? It is highly visible from the top of the stairs. So a mixed stack of boxes would not be very clever. The space is not deep enough for the only useful chest of drawers downstairs. 

 It would also be much too tall for the computer printer. Which presently sits on a rickety little table on my right. Under the sloping ceiling. The printer could just as easily sit on my left. All complete trivia but I am noting it here. To set my subconscious to work creatively in the background on a solution.  

 It sounds nuts but there is still furniture stuffed to the gills. Which remains largely untouched. I seem to have dismissed all of this from my small world vision. I look around and see more furniture and more boxes needing my attention. Drawers are a nuisance but do hide the contents.

 There are three overflowing bookshelves up here. After an initial flush of donations there is a complete pause on the disposal of books. Though I did rid myself of a lot of old magazines the other day. That halved the load on one small bookshelf.

 Moving two bookshelves together would produce a low and uniform filler for my new space. Lots of work. Books are heavy and time consuming. Little would be gained. Because bookshelves are shallow and sit against walls or in corners. They take up almost no useful room.

 Boxes take up lots of floor space and look awful. Even if the boxes are uniform. If they are transparent they look too "busy" for an open space. I know I am just rambling again. As I search for a new project to reward my removal of the wardrobe. My open clothes rail might fit? Do I want it just there? At least it is hidden in the bedroom half of the attic. Too wide "across the shoulders" for the new space. Just as well.

 As I look back on my weeks of tidying I realise that I only wanted a lack of clutter. Open, empty spaces full of light but not much else. There are still far too many "things" to achieve anything remotely like minimalism. 

Compaction of the remaining boxes demands shelving. A 2D box storage solution demands huge floor space. Stacking is essential but must allow open access to the lower tiers. I am not strong enough to dispose of what remains indoors. So I must stack it [on shelves] and hide my guilt with a throw over or a curtain.

 8.00 The PC and printer are now on my left on a low IKEA trolley. Much more, invisible space on the right. It was never accessible until now. I must make the most of it. 

 9.30 Fitted the stand-off, plumbing clamp in the airing cupboard. There was no support except the Pex-hose after I removed the iron piping. So it flopped over. Now it doesn't.

10.00  Going shopping.

12.00 Going to town to buy more clear tubs. I bought a variety of tubs to suit the contents.

13.30 Finished lunch. Started sorting the TV 'stage' collection. 

15.15 I easily managed to segregate 1/3 of the entire "stage" collection. Or the large trailer floor full of boxes. Which I shall be donating to a charity shop. Which supports a local industrial museum. I kept the glass and pretty china for further sorting. The best glass and china are already sorted to the bedroom collection. I'm wondering if it might be safer to fill the back of the car. The trailer jumps violently up and down on every bump and pothole. The drive is in a poor state at the moment. It would be pointless driving miles. Only to find the whole lot smashed.

16.50 Still tidying the garden too. Lopping twigs from the long branches is being interrupted by showers. It is pouring down at the moment. Good! The ground is parched. So every drop helps.

 Outer Copenhagen is to reduce its speed limits to 40kph or 25mph. The city centre speed limit drops to 30kph. Only 18.6mph! The idea is to make the city slow, boring for drivers and safer for everybody. Getting people out of their cars will reduce pollution, CO2, pressure on parking facilities and traffic noise. Cycling or walking will help to reduce the burden on the health service. As will reduced traffic.

18.00 60F.  Sunny periods. I dropped the seats down and filled the back of the car with two layers of  the boxes from the trailer.

 I also finished lopping the long branches. A heaped trailer load can go to the yard tomorrow.

 My failure to produce edible boiled potatoes is becoming irksome. I am going to have another go. Using cold water in the pan to start with. Which helps to achieve an even texture according to online advice. I didn't have enough water in the pan last time. I shall just cover them to ensure the water doesn't boil dry. Potatoes are a valuable meal bulker to add to baked pasties and fish. Or salads. I may even add some salt. I was never taught to boil potatoes. Nor much of anything else. Even my boiled eggs are soft after boiling for 12 minutes.

 The potatoes weren't too bad for texture but I did not remove the skins nor peel them. They didn't taste right and smelt strongly in the bag. With lots of sprouts. I had been keeping them in a dark cupboard.


~~

No comments:

Post a Comment