29 May 2022

29.05.2022 A better bit of Torx.

 ~~

 Sunday 29th 43F. Bright but cloudy. Two months today since my wife died. Up at 5am after several, earlier awakenings.

 The builder's merchant is open this morning at 9am. I had better go and buy some of the correct Torx bits. Otherwise there will be very slow progress on finishing the timber supports for the ceiling boards. 

 They will have to be strong enough to support the weight. 100kg or 220lbs per side is not insignificant. As I know well. From having to load and unload the boards. Then carry them upstairs at home.

 5.45. Too early for breakfast. I have just been outside for a wander about. It is cool and slightly misty with a heavy dew. The wood pigeons are making their monotonous call. My wife would clap her hands to drive them away. A cat dashed off at the first sight of me. 

 Dandelions clocks are sprouting proudly everywhere. Those would not have been tolerated. It was her pet hate! I find them quite attractive despite their invasive habits.

 7.45. Just returning from my morning walk. The sky has greyed over and it has become more misty. A complete change of clothing to my normal walking outfit. I have been a bit lax on my taking walks despite the benefits. I find the habit suddenly rather melancholy. Now that I can't report back. Nor share my latest images over morning coffee. As had been happening for years.

 I was thinking that I have to reach the builder's merchants by 9.00.m Just in time to catch them opening. Buy the correct Torx bits and then return home. To continue working on the balcony ceilings. 

 Then I realised that it is not a job. It is just one more "improvement." To make the house more presentable and comfortable. A time filler. To stop myself from descending into torpor and abject misery. 

 So I am going to ride there on my trike instead of driving. If my arrival in the village is too early. Then I can do some shopping. It is a rather hilly route. So it should take me about 40 minutes each way.

 9.50 60F. It took me 30 minutes to reach the village with the builders merchants. So I shopped first. 50 minutes for the return trip but I was carrying a heavy load and seeking out the steepest hills. Mostly sunshine both ways. Though with a cool, cross headwind too. 

 I was going remarkably well considering my low mileage recently. I was averaging high 90s cadence and 15mph going. Slower on the way back. With a less favourable wind.

 There was a discount on tinned goods so I bought 12! Which was silly but the cost of petrol would have made the offer worthless if I had driven back there. About 13 miles in all.

 I am struggling with the slats. The window is checked to be vertical in both planes. When I use my roofer's square, to set them square, the slats sink downwards at the far end. A level on the slats makes no sense at all. Logically the slats must be made square to the window frame. Otherwise the rectangular boards will not seat against each other, on all sides, as well as the frame. Yet it looks completely wrong with the slats at the angles they are. How can this be? Unless the roof is splayed?

 Or sloping along the ridge. Though I can't easily test for this because of the intermediate timbers and Rockwool insulation. The 95mm breadth of the slats does allow some leeway in fixing the boards. What I don't want is to raise and fix a number of heavy boards. Then have to take them back down again to fix their supporting structure. All because I have run out of that precious leeway.

 I have just realised that it must be my subframe of battens. Provided the slats are square to the window frame I shall have to carry on. I'll do something else while I ponder subconsciously.

 Refitted the missing parts of the kitchen ceiling following the electrical work. Still have to do the front hall ceiling boards. I could do that next. Half done. Need a deeper piece of wood.

 I also need a smaller, self-closing, wind stop for the window, extractor fan. Before I can proceed further with this project. The one I have is much too big and will greatly exceed the area of the fan base. I am trying to minimise the blockage of the view beyond the fan itself. Hence the clear polycarbonate.


 ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment