25 May 2022

25.05.2022 Like shooting goldfish in a barrel.

 ~~

 Wednesday 25th 52F, a sunny start today but breezy.  Fast moving cloud from the west. More showers are forecast for later. Up at 6am after waking much earlier. My back is aching.

 I am supposed to deliver the re-sorted items from the "TV stage" at 9am. I just hope somebody is there, as agreed, to accept all the boxes. They weren't open yesterday. Despite being advertised on their website. It took several attempts to get an answer from their advertised phone number. I'll get more porridge for breakfast in the local coop while I am there.

 Later I shall deliver the chestnut trimmings to the local yard.  I am thinking of loading the trailer before the charity shop run. That will save time for something else later. Not sure what yet. There is plenty to do. Just off the top of my head:

  I have to find somewhere to stack the logs to dry.
 The front hall, ceiling boards have to be put back up after the electrical work.
 The kitchen ceiling needs completing.
 The kitchen lighting needs completion.
 Both hall's lighting needs attention/replacement.
 The kitchen window fan needs a hole cut in the polycarbonate.
 Fan fitted and weather shrouded in the clear plastic window.
 Fitting in place + wiring.
 Put up new battens, insulation and ceiling on the balcony.
 There is LOTS more tidying to do upstairs and down. [+ Greenhouse!]
 More old furniture and boxes to be sorted and [probably] discarded.
 Fill new storage area with boxes following demolition of the wardrobe.
 Fit magnets to the mock drawer fronts in the kitchen.
 The whole area outside the rear [main] entrance door needs tidying.
 Move the refuse bins under cover.
 All my wife's gardening tools are still just propped up against the shed wall. 
 Order self-compacting gravel to replace the "patio" and to level the parking area.
 Make good the unfinished walls and doors throughout the house.
 Paint everything white inside and out? 😎

I arrived early for the hand-off. The goodies were accepted with grateful thanks by an intelligent and sympathetic lady. Which meant more tears. I am okay until they express their condolences and then I turn on like a tap!

The gorgeous countryside just goes on improving. The light and shade moving on the fields as clouds race cross. The splashes of yellow from the oil seed rape. Which is going over now.

 I visited the builders merchant on the way home. Bought the boards I need to support the new ceiling in the balcony area. I have been overthinking the weird slopes of the rafters relative to the triangular windows. I just need some string to run taut lines. Then use packing pieces to level up. 

 I have tons of plastic wedges from a hobby project. They can be reversed, doubled and adjusted to arrive at any thickness I need. The Rockwool must go in first though. Or I won't have access. I am not looking forwards to that stage. It needs some more tidying out there before I can progress. No point in contaminating everything with prickly dust. Including myself! I do have a disposable suit handy and plenty of masks.

10.00 60F. Morning coffee over. I need a quick and brainless project. Fill the trailer with twigs.

 I was congratulating myself on how quickly I loaded the trailer.  It had passed easily through the new gap I had made in the giant Thujopsis dolabrata hedge. So I was able to park it right beside the heap.  

 Then found I couldn't get the car through at such a sharp angle to hitch the trailer and pull it out. So I wasted an hour cutting more thick trunks and branches out of the hedge to widen the gap. Pouring rain didn't help the cause. The stems were about 150mm/6" in diameter near the ground. Now I have another trailer full of conifer branches to take away. Save a couple of minutes and waste hours. Though access to this 3/4 of the garden will never be a problem again.

 12.00 61F.  Sunshine and showers. The load of chestnut twigs was duly delivered. Where I was able to practise my reversing with a trailer in the huge, empty yard. Reversing, with a trailer, is a skill the Danes learn at their mother's breast. It may even be in their genes. 

 Car trailers are almost universally owned over here. At least they are in rural parts. They can carry garden waste, an old fridge or other materials to the village recycling yard. Bring white goods and patio furniture home from the city stores. Or take their ride-on mower to the summer house. 

 Another trailer full but of conifer branches this time. The foliage was unbelievably heavy! I shopped on the way back. Forgot the porridge. Again! Still enough to last several days. Bank holiday tomorrow. 

 A trivial kitchen upgrade demanded by recycling. My big new pedal bin was beginning to get greedy and take literally everything. Which was both lazy and a bit naughty. The big green bin outside has a long list of stuff [with illustrations] of that which should have gone in there instead.

 So I now use a big, lightweight waste paper basket to hold the recycling stuff. It sits right beside the big new pedal bin. Now I take the paper basket outside when it is full and feed the green bin appropriately. Job done. If I was really clever. [I'm not] I'd have two waste paper baskets indoors. One for each half of the big green bin.

 But! Then I'd need ten waste paper baskets when they deliver the ten recycling bins to go outside. It's in the government's plans. Though some bins may be partitioned like the present green bin. That might save the inevitable cost of buying ever more waste paper baskets. Though it would not reduce the footprint of all those waste paper baskets. At least, not by much.

 So, let's forget everything I've said so far on this subject. Waste paper basket? What waste paper basket? 🙄

 It is fast approaching that time to: "Think about dinner." Boom-tiss! [That was a snare drum and cymbal for the hard of hearing.]

Thanks to "A" [my technical, therapeutic, dietician and expert, culinary consultant] I am having poached eggs for the first time in decades. 

 "We" stopped doing poached eggs when aluminium was blamed for WW3.1. Our specialized "poaching pan" was almost radioactively/toxically all aluminium! Except for the black plastic knobs. So, like everybody else, we threw our aluminium, coking apparatus off the cliff. Right behind the Lemmings.


 I hope "A" won't sue me for breach of copyright.. but: "Lower small cup, containing broken egg, slowly into gently boiling water. Allow 2-3 minutes of simmering to taste. Remove with slotted spoon. Enjoy!"

 What will they think of next?

 Double, poached egg on buttered toast, please?

 Waddya mean? "Get your own!" 😉 

 Perfection at the first try? The water wasn't even simmering.  It had gone off the boil and did not start bubbling again as I wound up the mighty lasers of the new hob. So I gave them 4 minutes. Kept the toast warm in the toaster and only buttered it at the last moment. 

8.50. 54F.  I am struggling to keep warm this evening. No idea why. I have now donned a down sweater. It is 69F indoors! Just over 20C. The sky is black in the north but the tops of the trees are briefly lit in golden sunshine. It is blowing a southerly gale. So I have shut the vents on the front window. Just in case there was a draught.
 

 _________________________________

 If a Russian coward, who shoots an unarmed civilian, is a war criminal. Then what kind of snivelling coward is a US school bully?  Shooting [unarmed] little children with an automatic rifle? Like goldfish in a barrel. All-American cowardice at its greatest? Probably. 


~~

 

No comments:

Post a Comment