18 May 2022

18.05.2022 Sparky's mate.

 ~~

 Wednesday 18th 52F, bright and breezy overcast. Up at 4.30.

 First I had to take the front hall boarded ceiling down. Try that when you've fallen out of bed at such an hour! 

 I built the ceiling that way because the meter and consumer unit were mounted on the wall there. Which meant that any change to the electrics has to start there. Cables could be effortlessly hidden above the ceiling. Or in the airing cupboard at one end. Except, that no changes ever did happen, of course.

 The electrician and plumber are due today at 7.30. I have been tidying furiously for hours. 

 The electrician turned up but not the plumber. Surprise-surprise! So I must continue collecting water from the bathroom and I still can't use the sink. Despite using a washing up bowl I still managed to flood the cupboard floor last night.

 I have requested the hob be connected as top priority so I can make hot food. The plumber may now turn up on Friday. 🤞

 I have been clearing the garden. The trailer is filled with more scrap metal. Including the rusty old cooker and extractor hood. It will all have to wait until later. Because the drive is blocked by vans. I have even tidied the parking space enough to be able to park off the turning area. For the first time ever! A quick strim knocked down the long grass and weeds. This entire space was always full of stepladders displaying potted plants arranged on the rungs.

 14.00. 74F! A warm and sunny day with a decent breeze. The electrician has just left. Everything important is working. Hob, hot water tank and existing lighting and sockets. Only the new work has yet to be connected. It all went very well. Though there is still more to do. I acted as sparky's mate when needed. There was excellent communication throughout. Despite Danish not being either of  our mother's tongue. He came from Turkey and was an excellent electrician. He is coming back on Friday.     

 Along with the plumber [allegedly.] I couldn't be bothered to wait any longer for my sink. So I fitted the big filter outlet and replaced the drain pipes. Now it is safe to pour water into the sink. Or splosh water accidentally while washing up. The odd tsunami is to be expected at my age.

 Next I had to hang a new washing line. Having cut down the tree which once held the far end. Fortunately my wife had supplied a spare. Which was longer than the original. I hung my towels to check its stability and all is well so far. I do hate a stiff towel. Which has not been exercised properly out of doors.

 I strimmed and raked the grass in front of the fallen chestnut. Just to reduce the number of things to me to fall over. There were a lot of twigs hidden in the grass. I tend not to be looking for such hurdles while hanging my washing.

 Now I can escape in the car I can deliver my latest load to the recycling yard. I shall be heartily glad to see the back of the Gram Cooker and horrendous extractor hood. 

 I need to buy some small bulb sockets and shades for the ceiling. To hang over the new working surface. Having just removed the overhead light and twin halogen pendules. They were a pest!  I would always bang my head on the heavy glass lampshades. As I bent naturally over the working surface. The pretty colour soon proved to be as thin a soap bubble. So we had years of blinding, clear lampshades. Which meant we never used them! 

18.10 71F. I have delivered my scrap metal to the recycling yard. Went shopping to catch up. Bought some bulb holders, bulbs.... but no shades. I am now looking at making shades out of some gardening item. LEDs produce little heat so should not be a problem. I strimmed the centre of the drive. Dandelions had taken over.

Time for a nap before dinner. I'll have to do some washing up before I can cook.

 21.30 64F. I am relaxing after dinner. Cod in batter with baked beans and a wholemeal bread roll. The new hob is amazing. Once I had the beans warmed up I turned off the "plate." Then relied on residual heat to keep the pan warm while the fish cooked in the mini oven. 

 I bought a quartz wall clock yesterday for £4.50 equivalent in a supermarket. It would not keep going. I replaced one new battery with another. Checked the battery strength with my DMM. Today I bought a wall clock for half the price in a charity shop. It keeps going and looks much nicer. I am waiting until tomorrow to clean up the kitchen. It has been a very long day.

~~

No comments:

Post a Comment