30 May 2022

30.05.2022 The many trials of the household apprentice.

 ~~

 Monday 30th 48F. Overcast but the wind has finally dropped. Possible showers. Up at 6am. Aching all over. 

 7.00 Time for breakfast. I cleaned the hob while the kettle boiled. There was a spray bottle for the purpose amongst countless others. I cut microfibre clothes into four to make them go further. So many "household" things I don't know anything about. How to keep a new, stainless steel sink looking new. Cleaning the enamel bath without destroying it.

 My boiled potatoes were modestly acceptable last night. They were stored in a dark cupboard and covered in shoots. So I rubbed them off and then peeled them. Stabbing them with a fork to test their readiness during cooking is proving useful.

 I keep preparing vast quantities of lettuce for my salads. I ought to cut right down. Fortunately my wife taught me to use scissors. So I cut it all up into small pieces. Otherwise eating it would be completely unmanageable. Stuff would all be flying everywhere! I am still eating in front of the TV with a tray on my lap.

 By the time I have added potatoes, cucumber, carrots, cheese, tuna and eggs I need several large plates! I am not keen on graters. They work well enough but need so much effort. To remove the carrots or cheese stuck inside. Then the cleaning in the washing up afterwards. 

 I now wash up only once a day. A happy medium provided there are enough clean mugs in the cycle. Getting the yellow latex gloves on is still a struggle. Taking them off again is much worse. I may try washing up without them. Though the gloves do offer a secure grip and protect my hands. 

 If only "Large" meant they fitted more loosely. I had to develop a special way to get them off! It saves ripping off the finger tips every time! Now I shuffle them towards my fingers and pull the fingers sideways to let the air in. 

7.30 Time for a walk. Whoops! The towels are still in the washing machine! I'd completely forgotten about them.[Again!]

7.45. I have just been out to hang the towels on the line. The grey sky is spitting lightly but never mind. The garden was filled with birdsong. Absolutely amazing in their variety! There is even an echo now the chestnut has gone. 

 I was gone for about an hour. Up to the woods by the wrong way along the road. Then up by steep track.  Followed by the direct descent via the edges of the fields. The wind turbines were all standing still. A hare and a deer were as surprised as I was. To find us at such close quarters. The hare waited and waited before moving. The deer had its head on backwards. We stared at each other for a couple of minutes. Until it turned sharp right and exited through the hedge.

  Plans for today? I'd like to get on with the window fan while the sun is absent. That means a visit to the builder's merchant. Cycle or drive? A trike ride is not escapism. It is valid time filler and fun. A cool day is an equally good excuse to work on the balcony room. I ought to do some more tidying but lack the motivation.

 I now have my regular clothes in several plastic tubs on the floor of the bedroom. Not ideal because it means crawling under the rail rack. A chest of drawers would make far more sense. Getting one up here is the problem.

 I have been struggling to complete the window fan due to a lack of parts. I need a wind block to go outside. Plus a fly stop mesh. I had to drive to town to get the final piece of the jigsaw. The discount builder's merchants sell a smaller wind stop plate. Not available at the normal outlets. Now I just have to cut out the hole in the clear polycarbonate and start assembling the multilayered "sandwich." Ideally, need a coupler to fit over the 99mm spigots. An internal sleeve might be better.

 I used my multi-cutter to remove the ugly brown 10cm/4" elbow on the kitchen wall. This was connected to the extractor hood until I removed it.

 The huge triangular windows are poorly accessible from a ladder for cleaning. So I bought some window cleaning heads. A mop, a brush and squeegee. I just hope it all fits my telescoping pole. The taper fits fine. So I can work safely from the ground.

 Would you believe it? I rode to collect a parcel and the rear gear changer cable broke. Leaving me in top gear with hills to climb. Thank goodness it was only local. Imagine if I was miles from home? This has happened several times with Campag Chorus Ergo 11 speed levers. Probably due to high mileage and poor maintenance. I haven't a clue if I have a spare cable or even where it might be. They are extra thin 1.2mm for flexibility and low friction. I was in town this morning and could have bought one. Grr!


~~

No comments:

Post a Comment