10 May 2020

9.05.2020 Day 48 + 9 & 10. A real weekend!


 ~~


Saturday 9th 48-64F, rather cloudy but trying to be bright. A brisk walk to the lanes. Half an hour and a gain of 10°F. Quiet traffic and noisy birds. Warm and completely still. Sunny but with variable cloud.

I was allowed out for a ride to the village but became lost on my way home. So I spent two hours in perfect cycling weather not being at home. Going well, even dancing on the pedals over long uphill drags.

I took loads of photographs of the magical, spring, beech woods. Saw a covered carriage drawn by two black horses in the forest. Two cheerful girls were doing the driving. I haven't heard horses hooves in years. They could still be heard half a mile after I passed them going the other way. There was no traffic to drown them out!

I had been making my own racket rattling over the cobbles at the stately home on rock hard, Schwalbe Durano tyres. Most of the noise coming from the empty Overboard duffle bag. I should have left it at home because I am not allowed in the shops.

Quite a lot of keen cyclists out training. Many of them greeted me as they passed. The village supermarkets were packed with cars and people. Just like a completely normal Saturday. Though I sensibly kept my distance. Safely home in time for lunch.

What a wonderful day to live in the Danish countryside! Superlatives are superfluous. Even approaching the gates along the drive. With its central stripe of tufted grass. Held its own sleepy, almost summery charm.

Sunday 10th 47-66F, calm, bright and slightly misty. With thin, high cloud. A leisurely walk to the lanes in an eery silence. Only the squeak of my boots and countless birds for company.

There was literally no traffic at all before my turning point. Then only three cars and a large motorcycle on the last leg. As I plodded back along the almost deserted, humped and wriggling, main road. A young lady battled against the odds. As she jogged for weight loss but seemed to be going in the opposite direction.

The cloud is thickening now. White speckles against a blue sky. Radiating away from the sun in huge, long, "vapour trails." It is already warm and 58F at 8.30. As I wait for coffee and rolls before I properly start my day. A sparrow keeps hovering at my dormer window. In search of wrapped snacks provided by the spiders. The tall, garden trees beyond, are animated by the birds. All looking for their own, tasty breakfasts.


~~

No comments:

Post a Comment