23 May 2020

23.05.2020 Out and about.

~~

Saturday 23rd 53F, dull and overcast with  distant mist. It rained quite thoroughly yesterday afternoon and evening. We must all pray that the mist isn't just the rain going back up again. That would never do! Now the sun is trying to come through! [6.45am]

I keep thinking I should have another ride but it never happens. It became such a habit to have a "proper" goal and a purpose for every ride. Just to ensure I had one. Without that stimulus it is hard to find a good enough reason. Particularly when I am denied entry to so many of my former goals without seriously risking infection. The ride itself is no longer sufficient excuse for having one.

It remained bright but not continuously sunny for my walk to the lanes. The mist had lifted by then. I spotted several different warblers in the roadside hedges. Their very high activity level actually helped me to see them if I was patient enough. My neighbours have taken up jogging during the pandemic. Their fitness seems to be increasing quite nicely. Traffic was light with longs gap between them.

I think I might have a ride to do some spotting, for water birds, on some slightly more distant ponds. That was all the excuse I needed to do my familiar Saturday morning ride. I hung about for an hour by a shallow, flood prevention lake. There were swans, coots, Black headed gulls, geese and two families of Shelducks with lots of chicks. The geese were innocently grazing around the Shelducks but this prompted a few threatening charges.

I broke quarantine to buy a few items we can't get from home delivery. The shops were all but empty and I used the provided, alcohol hand rinse each time. The downside is that the same pump button was touched by everybody! Naturally I was very careful to avoid everyone and checked the car park was all but empty before risking a visit. Probably 15 miles today but all three batteries are flat in the Sigma cycle computer.

~~

No comments:

Post a Comment