11 Oct 2024

11.10.2024 Dogh!

 ~o~

  Friday 11th 41F/5C [7.00] A bright morning is promised. With rain and a stiff SW wind after lunch.

 Up at 6.20 after a restless night. I couldn't get warm in bed at 63F. Probably because I hadn't lit the stove at 66F in the room earlier and it had quickly cooled off. I had a choice of a heavier duvet or more clothes. I fetched long underwear and was comfortable after that. Though with more, weird dreams. 

 Much as I would like to ride to my friend's place today. I would be facing wind and rain on the way home. 20 miles or 30km is no fun if it is raining hard and into a headwind.

 I went in the car but could have ridden there and back. It remained sunny long after the forecast change to rain. Once home and lunch over I realised I had forgotten something. So I had to drive all the way back again, in rain. Heavy at times. I went a different way to enjoy the change.

 DR News, the Danish equivalent of the British BBC, has news articles on illegal e-bikes. Particularly about high speeds on illegal machines and chip tuning. So called "fat bikes" can be bought online and reach illegal speeds without pedaling and are often not approved for use in Europe. In the hands of fearless youth they have been involved in numerous accidents. 

The rules for "Speed" or "45km/hr" e-bikes were also discussed in detail. With a call for number plates to be made compulsory. Though there is already a class of IC scooter and moped which does not require number plates. These are officially restricted to relatively low, maximum speeds much like e-bikes. 

 Widely available tuning parts are available for those too. With pedaling rarely required or even possible with IC mopeds, scooters and motorcycles. While e-bikes require pedaling, by law, to enjoy motor assistance above walking speed. With sharp motor cut-offs at and above the legal speed limit. Motor power is also regulated by law for e-bikes. 

 I follow all the rules for my "45" and would happily fit number plates if required to. To prove that my machine is type approved and that I carry the necessary insurance. How difficult can it be to match requirement across similar machines? Both IC and battery powered.

 Traffic speeding is so widespread on Danish roads, in my own experience, that "picking on" e-bikes is extremely hypocritical. It is completely impossible to drive at the Danish national speed limits of 50km/hr [in built up areas without lower speed limits] and 80km/hr on rural roads, without being repeatedly overtaken. In the lanes, the villages, the towns, the cities and on the motorways. No vehicle remains within the law. Lorries and even the buses speed routinely.

 There is literally nowhere that you will not be repeatedly overtaken by those who blatantly ignore the law. I often see drivers overtake. Where school crossings are flashing orange and very low speeds are clearly indicated. The speed indicators at many village and town entrances flash so often, at speeding drivers, that they must wear out. 

 It is actually rare for a car to pass these signs at the required speed limit or below. So that the sign does not flash. It is routine for a flash to occur for every single vehicle approaching these signs. So that they can be clearly seen for miles up ahead. Yet not a single driver adjusts their speed accordingly. 

 If Denmark had speed cameras they could cut taxes without affecting anything else. When they do set up temporary speed cameras. The police catch so many thousands per day that it beggars belief!

 Dinner was three, small, poached eggs on three, small rounds of wholegrain toast. The free range eggs, a gift from my nice neighbours, were very tasty. With dark yolks.

  I have just been outside to check for aurora. Sadly the sky is very misty and half covered in cloud.


 

 

  ~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment