20 Feb 2024

20.02.2024 Another 62km/40 mile ride.

 ~o~

  Tuesday 20th 42F/5.6C [at 9am]. Overcast but mostly dry with a moderate westerly breeze. Up at 7.50. I got up at 6am but went straight back to bed. Then it was suddenly light. 61F in the room and kitchen. 

 A suitable day for a bike ride? Wednesday museum tomorrow. So that's out.

 Crocuses outside the greenhouse.

 I just discovered a reader's comment from January about saddle springs and rider weight. Unfortunately I missed seeing it. Then had to open Chrome to be able to reply. 

 There seems to be almost no recognition of rider weight from cycling manufacturers. This is despite average bodyweight rising steadily around the globe. My own weight has crept up to 80kg [12.6 stone] after a winter of little physical activity. There has been record rainfall to match a record mild winter. 

 While it is certainly possible to ride in the rain it really isn't remotely as pleasant as in the dry. Or even in the cold. Every aspect of one's clothing has to be considered. Even waterproof shoes. Mudguards are not as protective as the manufacturer's might hope. I am very tempted to add a flap to the Moustache's substantial front mudguard. The front tyre sprays liberally well above ankle height. Moustache make much about their double pressing for stiffness, strength and quietness in use. They must not have tested them for spray patterns when riding through puddles! 

 I prefer lighter shoes for higher pedalling revs. [Cadence] My taller Sorel boots provide the most protection but tend to lift off if I pedal faster. This really is noticeable and must be due to their greater weight. My lightweight [Energetics] trainers allow me to pedal above 100rpm. The Sorel more like 80rpm. The difference is 500g to 300g. Quite a margin!  My Scarpa leather, walking shoes, with Vibram soles weigh 450g. The soles are slightly too rough for sure pedalling. Which is why I started searching for smooth soled trainers.

 I chose my cycling footwear to have smooth sole patterns for grip on the spiked, flat pedals. An intermediary fur lined Puma was a very poor choice. Pitiful grip in the wet and 535g. They slide all over the pedals and on many wet road surfaces. Unfortunately the lightest Energetics shoes provide poor protection from the wet or the cold. So are reserved for warmer, dry weather. They provide excellent grip.

 9.50 It is brightening up! I ought to stop waffling and get moving if I am going for a ride! There is a charity shop 30km away. With another a little nearer. Which I missed because of Friday closure. Both are open today. A ride I have done many times. Through beautiful countryside.  

 10.30 Finally ready.

 15.15 45F/7C. Returned form a 62km/40 mile ride. Mostly overcast and feeling cold. Though with occasional watery sunshine. Despite the mild temperatures. Lots of birds of prey were perched, flying and calling. I ate two Corny micro bars and drank one micro carton of organic apple juice. The SW wind seemed to get stronger and colder on the way back. 20% battery charge left after 89% in Sport mode. With a bit of Turbo for effortless hill climbing.  The B67 Brooks became progressively more uncomfortable after 40km. Though not too badly. I just kept moving about on the saddle. Or lifting off for a moment. Wandering around the charity shops was a useful break and helped to relieve the pain temporarily. 

 I wore padded racing shorts, long-john thermal tights and stretchy trousers. A long sleeved, thermal vest, racing jersey and cardigan under the Endura rain jacket. I took a thin jumper as a warm reserve but couldn't be bothered to get any colder. By removing the jacket to put the jumper on. There was very little shelter from the wind to be found. So I pressed on. My shoulders and chest felt slightly cold for most of the return journey. I am feeling cold now as I finish a very late lunch at 16.10. 

 16.30 61F/16C in the the room. Lit the stove. I have almost run out of kindling. Time for a nap. As soon as the stove is going well.

 Dinner was mackerel on toast with cherry tomatoes.

  ~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment