19 Feb 2024

19.02.2024 What a disaster!

 ~o~

  Monday 19th 39F/4C. A dry day is promised after yesterday's deluge. I need to fetch more logs. Which means starting and extracting the old car. The Morris Minor can't manage a heavy trailer. The constant rain has turned the parking area into mush. Which doesn't help at all.  

 Up at 6am. 63F/17C in the room. I am warmer in the long, thermal underwear. Always in modest black. Just in case you imagined a Hollywood cowboy. Heading for the frontier town bath for his annual dip. In his hideously stained, off-white underwear. With buttoned, rear trapdoor.

 13.00 I have spent the morning in the village waiting to be rescued. The car started without a problem and reached the village before it misfired, stopped and wouldn't start again. After waiting for an hour the rescue chap arrived and boosted the battery enough to start. He then followed me the five km home. Just to be sure I reached my destination. It was touch and go at times. The engine ran very rough and wouldn't pick up.

 I drove the car into the 200m long, shared drive and it immediately died again. So I needed the sack truck to bring the new battery to the car. It spins the engine over but it still won't start. Now the car is 100m from home but  not blocking the drive. I am now trying to get the rescue service to deliver the car to the garage in the next village. They are presently consulting with each other on the problem. 

  13.30 47F/8C. Mild and mostly dry but overcast. Even some brief, sunny periods. The rescue service is coming later to pick up the car. For delivery to the garage workshop. I need the car to fetch more logs in the trailer. Which is where I was supposed to be going this morning. At least I am safely home now and can have some lunch. I spoke to the mechanics and they are happy to have a look at it. Luckily I have been going there for years to get through the Syn. The periodic, Danish MOT.

 14.45 The car was stuck in his usual turning space. So I helped the pleasant young dustbin man reverse his big truck out. On the very dangerous exit on a sharp corner. Luckily there was a lull in the traffic. My first time being near the truck while it was tipping my bin. A pretty violent exercise to ensure the bins were fully emptied. 

 The poor old car has now been picked up and will be carried to the workshop. Had a nice chat, in English, with the young driver. He spent some time in the USA and spoke excellent Eglish. It must be quite an interesting job moving between call-outs on a car rescue service. He must cover most of Fyn in a fairly short time.

 Diner was fried chicken, chips and cherry tomatoes.


   ~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment