14 Apr 2023

14.04.2023 A bloodbath!

 ~o~

 Friday 14th 38F. A white frost again and it feels cooler indoors. Overcast with a white, cloudy sky. The stove was only lit for a short while in the early evening. I had the greenhouse open as usual to warm the house. I cleared the trailer of the remaining scrap wood and dust to make room for the e-bike. For delivery to the bike shop in town. They don't open until 10.00.

 My walk to the lanes was unremarkable apart from all the birdsong. It was rather cool on my hands despite the dead calm. No wind power for the moment. I spoke to a cheerful lorry driver who had just delivered an excavator and was checking his huge, low loader trailer. He asked me where my big gun was. I was wearing my camouflage clothing and binoculars. We both laughed as I pointed out I was a bird watcher. 

 I should have been red faced. Having identified a Yellowhammer as a Siskin. It was back on a low hedge this morning after an absence yesterday. Previously it had been a silhouette at the top of a tree. Today I was able to examine it at leisure through my binoculars. It sported a subtle red blush in breeding colours. This bird seemed undisturbed by my presence. I confirmed the Yellowhammer identification from matching its song on YouTube videos. A Linnet is obviously much redder.

 Time to get changed. To take the e-bike to the shop in town for examination.

 The bike was booked in by the apprentice. The boss being absent. It looked as if there was quite a backlog of bikes waiting to be serviced. How long it will take to do mine he had no idea. It sounded as if at least a week's wait if they had to order in new cables. To replace those I damaged with my clumsiness. I shall just have to keep fit on the trike. 

 I was supposed to buy a new ink cartridge for the printer after the brand new one dried up from lack of use. I tried soaking the print head in hot water but that didn't help. Magenta only. No yellow. Weak blue. Forgot to buy one!

 14.00 11C/52F. Bright overcast. I was trying to rearrange the kitchen. [again] The front hall door won't fold right back without cutting the high shelves away. Even then the pantry shelving will be pushed out. Then the fridge cable is too short. The trolley won't go in the corner for assorted reasons. I put everything back. I was going to see if I could remove the hall door and park it in the opposite corner for the summer. Then I stood up under the sharp edge of a pressed steel, shelving bracket. Blood everywhere! Grr! 😠

  18.00 I had a nap and woke with a headache. Which has now almost retreated. I had to light the stove. The overcast meant there was no excess warmth from the greenhouse today. Below 15C/59C downstairs. 18C/65F upstairs.

 I fancy poached eggs on toast tonight. The last time I had this was on the 2nd. I kept the stove going for a couple of hours. I forgot to photograph the poached eggs. They were perfect. 😋


~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment