26 Apr 2023

26.04.2023 First swallow.

 ~o~

 Wednesday 26th 3C/37F. Bright sunshine. Cold and breezy! Museum day. New Ortlieb panniers out for delivery. I have been doing my homework online. So it won't take me long to fit them.

 6.30 Up early. Going for an unusually early walk. My knees are still aching.

 An eye wateringly cold westerly breeze! My first swallow sailed right past me and along the hedgerow at 7.05 today. I hope he had his woolly jumper on. I haven't mentioned how many birds of prey I have seen recently. Harrier like birds, with clear markings and a long tail, are the most common. They have drifted over me on the bike and while walking. Seemingly unperturbed by my presence. 

 The battery fits the Ortlieb top tube bag nicely for length.

 There was a lot of bird activity and song this morning. A pair of geese went over muttering to themselves. I am not sure if it is the same pair but they are regular sighting. Circling the area at high speed, low altitude and rather noisy at times. As was the traffic. Early commuters and tradesmen's vans.

8.00 6C/42F Bright sunshine. Morning coffee over. I came back to start straight into the washing up. There was nothing clean left to use. I have given up on rubber, household gloves. They are too tight and hurt my hands putting them on. 

 Time to get ready for the ride to the museum. Not having the capacity of the car, for spare clothing, I have to be far more selective. At least I won't need rain wear. The Endura jacket will pack small once I take it off. 

 I am not sure there's room in one pannier for my warmest fleece jacket. It has deep pockets. Unlike my alternatives. Where there's nowhere [safe] to put my phone or wallet. The thicker jacket is good a fending off a cold wind. It is expected to peak at only 8C/46F today. Which can be rather chilly when it's windy. Though fleece is hopeless as a true wind-stopper on the bike. I have tried it. 

 There was a tailwind to the museum. So the ride went without drama. I spent the morning measuring and cutting recycled wood for pickets fences and screens. Using a table saw and a handsaw.

 Coming home was into the wind. It was fierce! I shopped and then continued. The carrier delivered my Ortlieb parcel. Very nice kit it is too. I was surprised by the weight but it exactly matched the Innergy panniers at 0.8kg each. 

 The Ortlieb promises 5 years guarantee and oozes quality. The Innergy bag lasted 5 days and promises nothing long lasting. On the Innergy bag everything hangs on four popper-like rivets. Which pass through a doubling of the material. Both bags are the same price per pair.

 The Ortlieb top tube bag looks promising for housing the spare battery when needed. Lots of loops to fix it to the rack. It's roll top will provide a snug fit as needed. Like the olive Innergy bags, I shall overlap the Ortlieb bags for security over the battery bag on the rack. Which should conceal it. The Ortlieb has more fastening straps. The image at the top of the page shows the battery in the bag without any padding. After adding some camping mattress foam packing it will be perfect. The foam will stop the battery from rattling on the rack and protect it from the winter cold and hot sunshine. The bag has lots of loops along its length. Ensuring multiple fixing points to the rack.

I chose red for the panniers to be noticed. While I enjoy the all black look of the bike it would make me a bit of a hypocrite to have black bags. I hate the idea of cyclists wearing dark colours. It makes them invisible in poor light and after dark. 

 The truth is I was going to order Olive panniers from Ortlieb but they weren't in stock at the dealers. Red was my favourite colour as a child. So I bought red bags to go with my new toy. The yellow bags were highest visibility but just too fierce for my tastes.

 I found some off-cuts of foil backed foam, camping mattress. Ideal for lining the top tube bag. Fitted a treat. The battery fits snugly into the roll of foam but is easy to remove and fit. Fixing the bag to the rack is proving slightly more difficult. The pannier bags get in the way of the  battery bag. Or the top tube bag gets in the way of the pannier hooks. Perhaps I need some leather straps to go right around the battery bag? I only need to open the bag to reach the battery. Not remove the bag.

 The top tube bag, with battery fitted, is too long to stand up in a pannier. There are no long, straight tubes on the Moustache to hang the bag as intended. I could fix the bag to the rack with zip-ties. The Ortlieb panniers are taller and stiffer than the Innergy. They will not fold over each other neatly. To be held by the opposing buckles. They are fixed, not adjustable on the Ortlieb. A sliding strap on the Innergy. The Ortlieb can be folded inwards or outwards but it doesn't help to cover [hide] the battery bag. I am not worried about wet weather. The bag is waterproof. I am more interested in security and thermal protection.

 If I added something to the top of the rack it would raise the battery bag. Leaving the top rails of the rack clear. To freely hook on the panniers. The panniers will have more height to wrap over. Which would also  be an improvement. It sounds like a clever idea, but what can I use? It doesn't want to be too localized a support. Or it will soon wear through the battery bag. Something with a soft top surface? I think straps are a better way to go. Where do you buy straps? A charity shop?

 Dinner was fish fingers with chips. I added some over-ripe cherry tomatoes. Just to prove it was a real meal. I was too shamed to take a picture.

~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment