1 Apr 2023

1.04.2023 Kiox display custom screens.

 ~o~

 1st April 37F. Solid grey overcast. Breezy from the east. Sunshine expected only in the late afternoon. My lower back, hands, knees and wrists are all aching. This is after yesterday's 73km ride and all the previous ones. My riding position on the e-bike may not be optimum. I am adjusting the saddle height slightly, on the fly. Just to provide some variation. All thanks to the dropper post. I have never liked "straight" bars on any bike. Those I have owned soon caused me hand and wrist pain. I just prefer the bars [or hoods] to point away from me.

 That said, I suffered all these pains on both trikes with dropped [racing] bars. Where I only ever rested my hands on the lever hoods. A pair of forward extensions [MTB style] may not be allowed on my e-bike by law. I vaguely remember reading that somewhere. 

 Though it might help into a headwind. Or to provide variations in body lean and the pressure on and orientation of my hands and wrists. Tri-bars would certainly be a major change. Nor are they remotely comfortable for very long. I could rarely keep it up on the fully "aero" position on my trikes. My back can't cope with being bent over that low!

 Will repeated riding increase the strength of my aching bits? It could simply be unfamiliar exercise. Repeated, over a relatively short period. Of a couple of weeks of longer rides. 630km so far? I don't find the [almost] straight "MTB" bars at all uncomfortable in normal use. Though I do feel rather upright compared to the trike. The slightly drawn back angle at the levers feels perfectly natural and probably about right. The bar length feels fine too. Nothing about the [handle] bars shouts "change me!" 

 9.30. I should have had a walk by now. To "repair" the aches and pains.

 Well that was an unpleasant learning experience! Just for a change I wore my thickest [charity shop] fleece jacket. Instead of my usual outer attire of windproof jacket. Which meant I cut short my walk and turned tail for home at half way. The thick fleece was simply not warm enough. The cold, easterly wind was cutting right through me. Back to warm up with morning coffee. Upstairs at 20C/67F without the stove being lit.

 An e-bike, forum member has kindly pointed out. That I can customize screens on the Bosch Kiox display. To show any combination of data, including range and remaining battery charge. All in larger digits. I must have missed this when I didn't read the manual. As in: What manual? Though I did watch some of the YT videos. 

  The Kiox display with a user customized screen. To show all the basic information I need on a ride. Without requiring my reading glasses. I also use the cadence reading a lot. So added this in large digits to the next screen. Fumbling with the [10] multiple screens, via press buttons, is not easy while wearing thick winter gloves.

 I just need to reinstall the bike battery and Kiox computer display. To access these extra, customizable screens. Then I will no longer need my reading glasses. To check if I can get home safely. Without completely depleting the battery.

 Which, in turn, means I can continue to use greater assistance modes as I tire after a longer ride. Tour mode is effortless compared to Eco. With very occasional bursts of Sport for cresting steeper rises. This is not simply to maintain forward motion. As I would on the trike. It is to keep up my average speeds without extreme effort on my part. To shorten the elapsed ride time. particularly when the weather turns foul. [Again!]

 The e-bike gives me the ability to double my speed over the trike's. Without my becoming breathless. Or my knees and quads screaming with pain on the climbs. I am still getting a serious workout but I am in complete control. Of the level of discomfort I am willing to endure as a cyclist. The requirement to pedal to obtain motor assistance is actually highly beneficial to [my] fitness. 

 I am deliberately trying to maintain a higher cadence. To protect my knees from overload. This is not as easy as one would hope. Not without the half century of secure foot-pedal location. I can still see my pedal rpm going over 100 without losing contact. Particularly after buying the [discounted] trainers with fine texture, flat soles. 

 Given my present level of  skill and experience. I would be literally terrified of returning to SPD pedals. While wearing my MTB boots or shoes. After more than a decade of riding only the trike I keep forgetting to put my feet down in time. When I slow to a stop. There is also the dropper post to attend to at the same time.  Early days, but it should soon become automatic. I can feel my skill at balancing and steering a 2-wheeler returning. The bottom heavy, Moustache e-bike has very different characteristics to a lightweight, racing trike [or bike.] I practice, when I can, by sticking firmly to a white line without wavering.

 I am finding the city riding rapidly accelerating my [2 wheel] riding skills. There is so much variation in speed. All the traffic lights are always at red. The cycle lanes are usually far too narrow to pass or overtake safely. The surfaces are usually very uneven, potholed, covered in mud, gravel and debris from overhanging trees and shrubs. 

 The Mustache feels very safe on almost any surface. As I constantly try to keep up with its amazing stability and speed. Were I an inexperienced rider I would probably be dead. Or at least in hospital by now. I am relying heavily on my decades of constant practice. At both riding and driving defensively. 

 I question everything and constantly learn from my mistakes. The most difficult part of riding the e-bike is while I am actually at a standstill. Or coming to a stop. Though I am mastering the art of quickly dropping to an easier gear. Selecting the correct mode to assist my pulling away. Dropping the saddle and positioning myself for the wait and the rapid getaway. Often to be managed in a very confined space with other riders all around me. Respect for their vast [relaxed] experience and riding habits on city bike lanes is vital.  

 Nobody outside of Denmark would believe what a cyclist must do to turn left at a traffic light! You have to stop and turn sharply in front of the waiting traffic. Where? Over in the junction to your right at a traffic light. It is completely and utterly insane! Requiring confidence and advanced skills at bike handling. Usually with a bunch of other riders all around or behind you. 

 Hollywood Indian hand signal [How] brake sharply, drop the saddle, pull hard to the right. Now perform a sharp, 270ยบ turn. Come to a safe stop in front of the waiting traffic. Often in a marked lane only about half a meter or 2' wide! You are joined by all those other Danish bike riders. Who simply wanted to turn left too! And they call this a "cycling friendly" nation? It is NUTS! ๐Ÿ˜‚ 

5C/41F. After lunch I went for a ride. No particular target. Just exploring the rural lanes and villages I haven't been to recently. I did 34km averaging 23.4kph at an average of 79 rpm cadence. Half in Sport mode. Half in Tour mode. The battery charge dropped from 100% to 53%. 

 It was absolutely freezing! Blowing an easterly gale. It felt cold going with the wind. Twice as cold with it as a headwind. Which is why I used so much Sport mode. I even stopped and put on my waterproof over-trousers. 

 At least it stayed dry for once. Even some sunshine towards the end. I see they are letting sheep graze in the solar farms now. They had a lot of tiny, newborn lambs. Baa! Baa! It was just like being back in Wales.

 Dinner was fish fingers with oven ready chips. The chips were still not crisp enough after 25 minutes. I threw in a few fresh [over-ripe] tomatoes to make it look like a proper meal. Well, after yesterday's tour de fuss. I felt the need for something slightly less taxing of my culinary skills. And, still failed!


~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment