11 Apr 2023

11.04.2023 Bread and Water!

 ~o~

 Tuesday 11th 46F. Up at 5.30 after a restless night. Too dark to see anything. Though it looks overcast.

 It should be a cooking class today but I won't know until I get there. Easter should be over. As should the rain be, for today. More promised for tomorrow. Another 12mm in the afternoon/evening. Will there be more water in the pond this morning? Or is my maths completely down the drain? I would have liked to monitor progress. Just to ensure the pond wasn't settling under the weight of all that water. 62lbs/cu foot.

 6.15. Finally light enough to see the water surface is right up to the rim! Whoopee! I hope. There is a hint of the southern edge being slightly below the north. That may change with settlement.

 I tried Edge/Bing with AI yesterday and it was very helpful in resolving a particular computer issue. Which is as its should be with a Windows computer. I wasn't having much luck with Firefox searches. 

 I am heartily sick of being offered items for sale. When I specifically request help with a problem. Perhaps I should ask AI how to avoid commercialization of the Internet? I try all sorts of wording and even place search terms in inverted commas. All to no avail. 

 It's always the hard sell with Google. It can only be a matter of time. Before the whole Internet advertising pack of cards collapses. Into the sand it is built on. 

 Imagine the billions of man hours wasted, of people's valuable time, by these tech firms. It must surely be holding back human progress. Moore's Law is utterly meaningless. If it is only used to spew out more unwanted ads ever more quickly. 

 The blackthorn/plum/cherry trees are in flower. An off-white profusion hides the vicious thorns. I could go for a short walk. Before I have to start preparing for the day ahead.

 I was only gone for half an hour. There seemed to be few birds around. From a lower viewpoint the startling transparency of the water could not disguise a difference in level across the pond. 

I have a submersible pump to empty the pond if needed. Patience and wait and see? Or move the water to the old pond now and fix the level of the new? It can be refilled by Wednesday's rain. Eeny, meany.. No rush. Ideally, I should line the hole with sand rather than soft soil.

 As Easter is over I have had a mail. To say my 3-way Scotchlok connectors will be dispatched today.

 At the cooking class I made a French loaf. Not the flute. One of the fat, oval things. Still, rather too warm to be easily sliced but it tasted fine. It reminded me of the tuck shop, mini loaves and half loaves when I was at school. Remarkably heavy though.

 A sunny afternoon after a dull morning. The greenhouse is sharing its warmth as usual. I did the washing up. Don't scoff! This is major. When it gets down to not having a single piece of clean cutlery, crockery or a saucepan! I can't get into the rubber gloves and dislike very hot water.

  No dinner tonight as I ate at the class. The  evening was not without some drama: I had to rescue a salamander from the hall. It made it across the wooden threshold into the lounge and was making a run for it. Offering my warm hand frightened it. So I fetched a used envelope. It promptly stepped aboard and was transported to the bathroom window and a gentle drop into the long, wet grass. The large woodpile nearby would provide temporary shelter until it got its bearings. 


~o~

No comments:

Post a Comment