13 Feb 2022

13.02.2022 Unlucky for some?

 ~~

Sunday 13th 35F, heavy overcast and breezy from the SW.  No rain forecast. The wind wasn't that bad  but it was cold. My first singing skylark of the year. I bet its eyes were watering! Mixed flocks of Redwings and Fieldfares out on the fields. Dozens of sparrows.

 It is a very unpleasant feeling. When you suddenly realize that a lifetime's passionate interest. Not to mention the considerable investment. In time and money and research and materials and testing in a hobby. Has finally reached an end. I have been building audio equipment and following Hifi publications for over sixty years. My father before me and we traveled much the same path over the long decades. 

 So I was close to panic [and tears] when I placed an online advert to sell all my audio equipment for a mere pittance. Just to be rid of it. What use is audio equipment and giant loudspeakers? When deafness prevents normal conversation at home. When one can no longer hear the dialogue in films. How would my wife cope with any of it if the statistics suddenly catch up with me? A charity shop van at the gate to drag everything away? No clue as to its collector's value on the classic English Hifi enthusiasts' market. Not even how to assemble it correctly.

 

 ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment