20 Feb 2022

20.02.2022 Vintage Higgins Ultralite, Longstaff conversion, Long John and carrier bike for sale.

 ~~

 Sunday 20th 33F, quite bright at first but with misty, orange-red clouds. The moon is just a pale smudge again. At least it is light outside at 07.30 as the days grow longer. Lots more rain is forecast from lunchtime onwards. I had better hobble off while I still can.

 There was a light frost on the grass and thin ice on the puddles. A road salting lorry passed just as I reached the road. The few gulls jostled for position out on the prairie. An indistinct sun glowed from behind the clouds. The scene as gloomy as my own mood.

 A successful, caving, search and rescue mission occurred this morning. After a severe struggle I finally managed to bring the LWB, Long John cycle to the surface. This had involved ropes and pulleys. Hooked over each of the shed, roof joists in turn. Once freed from its imprisonment the LJ was provided with basic health care. Which meant a wipe down with a filthy rag after a spray of engine cleaner. With extras on the heavy duty chain.

 Its stamped, serial letters and numbers show it was made by SCO [Smith & Co.] in Odense. The serial letter Z suggests a 1963 or 1984 build. It was already old when I bought it more than 12 years ago. So I am going with a provisional 1963. Coinciding with my own mid-teens.

 The shorter wheel base, front carrier cycle could be 1942 or 64 from its year code letter 'A.' Again another SCO. It feels even older than the Long John but only because of the lugs. I could easily be mistaken. This too was given a spray of engine cleaner and wiped down with a filthy rag. Both carrier bikes have lots of surface rust competing with the black paint. 

I have finally put my Higgins trike and Longstaff trike conversion axle for sale on a Danish, online small ads website. DBA = Den Blå Avis. [The Blue Newspaper] 

Whether anybody in Denmark will value the Higgins as a very well equipped, Trykit 2WD, vintage trike I have absolutely no idea. It has 30 gears, Campag Chorus brake levers/shifters, TA rings, SPD pedals and 700 HPs. 

I am asking £500 equivalent in Danish Kroner. The original paint needs restoring after all the miles I rode on it. Up to 10k miles/ 15k km per year. It deserves a good home.

https://www.dba.dk/1954-higgiins-ultralite-e/id-1088122644/

 

~~

No comments:

Post a Comment