4 Jan 2022

4.01.2022 The trials and tribulations of a rural existence.

 ~~

Tuesday 4th 38F, heavy overcast with rain forecast. It drizzled lightly during my walk. Few birds visible this morning. Jackdaws paddled in field puddles or chased each other away from the verges. 

The old car battery held its charge overnight thanks to the radio fuse being removed. First time ever in 10 years of ownership. It started instantly. The new battery order was cancelled by the online vendor. Our agreement to have it sent by parcel post meant that the battery could not be kept upright. 

I have re-ordered. With delivery via the national freight carrier service. Which means a vast, 40 foot, 6-axle, articulated, container lorry. Waiting on a dangerous, blind corner on a busy, rural, main road. Until I can jog along the 200 meters to the distant kerb pushing a wheelbarrow or sack truck. At the far end of the heavily puddled drive. Having received an SMS or phone call from the driver. Whose only means of unloading any item is a flat, pallet truck and tail lift.

Exactly the same thing happened last time. When I had ordered some heavy, concrete blocks. The driver could only get the pallet half way off the road. Even with a run up in heavy traffic! I had to put out a warning triangle on the inside of the blind bend. While I manually lifted the blocks into my car trailer. Which was sitting out of sight in the entrance to the drive. Of course, several of my neighbours wanted to come into the shared drive in their cars. While I was still struggling to load the heavy blocks. 


~~

No comments:

Post a Comment