31 Jan 2022

31.01.2022 The calm after the storm.

 ~~

Monday 31st 36F, distant mist, overcast and raining. Showers forecast. It brightened up a little. With occasional glimpses of sunshine. I have just noticed a couple of dead branch hanging in the big willow. Only about the size of my arm. The base of the tree is heavily forked. Each branch at the base being about three feet in diameter. I always wonder, with each new storm, whether the whole lot will come down. It is truly massive and must be well over 60' high.

Another grey day. Another grey, steady plod to my familiar turning point. I waited for the rain to go off and luckily it stayed off. My breath hung in clouds as I started off down the road but not for long. The roads are still littered with wind blown debris from the trees and hedges. I counted three, dead, surgical masks on the verges. With McLardy's litter in far greater abundance.

Quite a large bird of prey was sitting out on a roadside field. It was very light and patchy in colour. Even at 200 yards it obviously didn't like the look of me. Who can blame it with my badger's brush of a beard and Covid mullet? It probably thought I was a giant-sized relation. The next field over duly gained a light coloured bird of prey. Its back was almost pure white as it flew off.

The middle turbine, of a row of three, was facing into the wind along with its brothers/sisters. It hasn't turned in a week or more. Too dangerous to mend in this season's continuous windy conditions?

A late morning, shopping trip in the car. A large beech tree was lying in a neat stack of limbs beside the road in a village I passed through. The only victim of the storm that I have seen so far. A roofer was working on the damaged and missing tiles on a vast, roadside barn. Cherry pickers are a revolution in accessibility and safety for such work. Scaffolding the job would have cost a fortune and wasted a lot of time. Both erecting it and dismantling it all afterwards. While the cherry picker could easily move along the length of the roof as required. As well as bringing the worker close enough to work without risk.

___________________________

Thought for the day: [Evil] dictators of a feather, flock together.

~~

No comments:

Post a Comment