22 Jul 2026

22.07.2026 Robotten!

 ~?~

  Wednesday 22nd 29F/15C [9.00] Overcast and breezy. The promise of early rain was not fulfilled. Otherwise a long, grey day is offered. With the westerly wind gusting to 14m/s. 

 Up at 6.30 after a fairly quiet night. 

 I have been expanding yesterday's post on the new, unfinished, cycle route. I seemed to have much more to talk about. After enjoying a ride along its still, largely unpaved surface. It will be some months before it is due to be officially opened. 

 Paved with finely compacted gravel. Almost like light grey sand. It is a mixture of self binding, finely crushed rock, sand and clay. Known in the UK as "hoggin." Much used as a paved cycling surface in the UK but rarely seen over here in Denmark. I remember that hoggin is much more prone to puddling in heavily trafficked areas. Though it is supposed to be semi-permeable. Even when well compacted.

 Another, much more distant cycle route in mid Fyn. Is also based on an old railway track. It seems not to get much traffic. Perhaps I am never on it at the correct times.

 Given the considerable financial outlay. To turn the old tracks into a paved surface it is slightly disappointing. Perhaps the overly mean, narrow asphalt surface. Does not excite enough people to want to cycle there. Should they have chosen a cyclist to design it? Quite probably, but they obviously didn't. 

 It is distant enough from here. To make it into a serious ride. If I follow it all the way to Ringe. Then turn about and follow the path all the way down to Korinth. Before finally heading for home. 

 Meanwhile, another, much nearer cycle path. Rises uphill from Aarup to the motorway at Grønnemose. Again, it is very rarely I have to share this path with anybody else. Though it does need a fit cyclist, or an e-bike, to enjoy its full potential. It rises quite spectacularly in the early stages. Before leveling out more later. It enjoys a wide, beautifully finished, asphalt surface.  The self binding sand would be hopelessly dangerous on the steep inclines! It is just possible to freewheel downhill to 40kph. Doing so on clay would be suicidal for most!

 I could imagine a yearly hill climb event here for a local cycle club. Safely away from traffic. The main road alongside was always very pretty. It rises in twists and turns between an avenue of ancient oak trees. Most of which show damage from collisions. The road is now subject to a low speed limit. Which is frequently ignored. 

 9.30 I have just had my daily online chat. Just checking that I am conscious. I have to go to the village for more tablets. With eight tablets per day for my heart issues. I am always running out of something. I have to go to the apotek early. In case I need a new prescription. Being long term medication, prescription renewals are usually available. From the receptionist at the nearby surgery. Which is mainly open only in the morning.   

 After lunch I visited my English friend. We enjoyed tea and a Danish pastry in the conservatory before we moved outside. To admire his sophisticated new robot mower working its way across a 6000m^2 lawn. Impressive! My own robot mower would need nearly four recharges to manage that area! Mine also cost four times less than his. While his mower weighed four times as much as mine. 

 Then home to the usual stuff in rain. It proved to be local and was soon forgotten.

 Dinner was a major fry-up with chips. Chicken, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes. With a generous dribble of brown sauce.

 

  ~?~

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment