13 Jun 2022

13.06.2022 Look, no hands!

 ~~

Never be afraid to share a smile. You have no idea how desperately it may be needed.

 Monday 13th 50F. Bright overcast. I woke at 5am and then slept to 6.30. It had just started raining. So I dashed out to rescue my cycling clothing from the washing line. My timing was perfect. It wasn't properly wet. Moments later it rained really hard for probably ten minutes. The forecast for day-long showers have been downgraded to only this morning.

 I have photographed this view endlessly and never tire of its geometry and textures. The seasons, the changing light and crop rotations provide infinite variety.

 I now have the luxury of being able to hang a washing line in the greenhouse. It would never have been possible until now. Where to put it? I think I'll settle for the folding, wooden clothes airer for now. 

 Bought secondhand in the 1960s. It has been used continuously and had been standing in the living room for years. Blocking yet more light from the middle window. The panel pins holding it together had started to rust away over time. So I have been steadily gluing loose dowels back into their sockets.

 Plans for today? I ought to buy a roll of DPM for the balcony ceilings. This project is dragging on. The stacks of boards and boxes in the bedroom are beginning to irritate. I have lost the stapler. So I'll have to search in the shed.

 After another check of the radar I risked a brisk walk to the lanes. The traffic was quiet. The birds happily singing. The sun shone. The views were breathtaking. What more can you ask? 

 11.00 63F.  Shopped for food and a roll of DPM [polythene] for the balcony.  I have chatted with the psychologist on the phone but they can't help for several months. Not unless they have appointment cancellations. She also needs a direct reference from my GP.  I have messaged my GP and await progress. My insurers offer psychiatric help but want me to wait 20 minutes in their telephone queue. It has just started to rain heavily again.

 Damp proof membrane: The roll is 2.15m wide. A little more than I need. 2x4m drops from the 35m roll is peanuts. Each drop is slightly complicated by a cross beam 75cm down from the ridge. Slit upwards in the top centre and tape over. Yes, I actually remembered to buy the tape. I have found the stapler. Ever onwards. 

 Typical! I had to use a new stapler. Because the old one has vanished. The new one only works one time in ten. Doesn't work inverted. Nor on a sloping surface. I presume it is a cheapo thing from a supermarket. I managed to hang the DPM on one ceiling side. Then went in search of the old stapler. It used to rest on a cupboard which is no longer here. Finding the old stapler again now would be pure chance.

  Houston, we have a problem! I don't have the physical strength to hold a heavy, wood-cement board under a 45º sloping ceiling with one hand. Or even two! I tried putting screws into the lower batten to support the board. Still no joy. I am going to have to find a secure support system.

 A passive supporting device [like the image left] will not lift the board. I still have to lift the board onto the supporting 'table' on top. Then slide the whole contraption along the floor to bring the board[s] into place. Fixing screws already half inserted facing downwards. I can use wedges to make minor adjustments of height. 

 The boards are only about 10kg each. So roofing battens will do fine as legs. This contraption will only work for one horizontal row. Then I'd need a much shorter support for the next row down and the next. No problem there. I shall be using recycled timber battens.

 A professional quality plasterboard lift costs £4-500 new from builder's merchants! Only £85-125 from discount DIY sheds. Possible reduced quality? Or £18 per day from tool hire companies. 

 They are all designed for plasterboard but are tiltable and lift the board via steel sections and presumably a rack gear. They would need a lower strip attached to hook the bottoms of the boards for safe 45º support. 

 None of them really helps beyond the top row of boards. They are all too tall at their minimum height for anything else. Or, I pay a fortune and have a professional do the job for me. Nah.

I was going to make cheese on toast but the bread was green and mouldy. So I went with a salmon & spinach pasty and half a tin of beans.




~~

No comments:

Post a Comment