5 Jun 2022

5.06.2022 Mending my nets.

 ~~

 Sunday 5th 42F. A bright start today. Up at 5am. No ill effects from yesterday's ride.

 I have the top of the first of three pieces of furniture clear. One large box of charity shop fodder is ready for delivery. Two medium sized boxes of cat and duck ornaments to be taken to a place of safety. The floor in front of the serial sideboards is clear for the first time in two months. 

 The image was taken almost exactly a year ago by my wife. Unbeknownst to me at the time. As I threaded the cord through the first shade net. Note the "Covid hair." I hadn't had a haircut in two years at that point. Normally I have a trim every few months. I only wear glasses for close work.

 As predicted by my consultant in these matters: The impending arrival of the County Council staff member [on Wednesday 8th] is adding some urgency to my tidying of the lounge. The wood stove fodder needs clearing as well. But where will it go? The greenhouse?

 As a side note: The 40' shipping container at the local recycling yard hasn't been touched by the charity shop staff for quite some time. It will soon become impossible to enter. Lack of voluntary staff? I may have to drive further afield on Tuesday. Only one local shop takes non-clothing and they told me to stop delivering more stuff. The Whitsun Bank Holiday weekend is not helping.

 I still have to move all the chestnut logs and medium sized branches. Though I may have a plan for the branches. So much to do. So little time. I had better stop gallivanting on the trike. Even if it is highly therapeutic.

 A very early walk. 6.45 to 7.20. Which may explain why there as so much birdsong. Lots of warblers in particular. Bright sunshine from a cloudless sky. Thin mist glowed out on the prairie. Too early for morning coffee. I had better do something useful instead.

9.00  65F. Going through the main chest of drawers was an emotional trial of nerves. Creams and perfumes, hair brushes, combs and even locks of her fine hair. She wore it long but always in a ponytail. Until she decided it was too heavy and I was called upon to trim off just a few inches. She would sit on a tall stool in the kitchen and give precise orders instructions as to the degree of trimming allowed. The tiled floor would make clearing up easier afterwards.

 I have assumed that most of her items cannot be recycled through the charity system. Who knows how old some of the creams and tiny bottles of perfumes might be. She hadn't used such things in years to my knowledge. I seriously doubt the shops would take the risk with their customers. So I have discarded most of it. Kept the more personal items.

 I had a good cry afterwards. Each item I handle is another layer of memory being lifted or peeled away. Often discovering another facet of her life which I never really knew. There was so much we never really discussed. It is much too late to try and catch up now. I have surrounded her cardboard pot of ashes with her familiar things. 

 Her tallboy is becoming a bit of shrine. I don't know why I am torturing myself like this. It just makes me cry. I need her. I miss her all the time. Reminding myself with these personal items only makes it worse. 

 12.00  I rode into the village to catch up on some minor shopping. All the shops were shut because of the bank holiday. So I detoured back. To make the trip worthwhile. Though I only stretched it to10 miles in all. Going well. 70F outside. 76F upstairs indoors. Good drying weather! I am on my third wash cycle today. With enough socks for an army. 

 I have opened both end doors of the greenhouse to try and get a through draught. The doors are protected by a fine mesh, galvanised steel screen. I should be adding a second layer of shade netting later. That will require I run a cord through the hem. First find your net! It was in the shed and so keen to be used it fell on me as I opened the door!

 13.15 71F.  Having lunch. I have just finished threading a cord through the net for the second layer. I will stretch the cord along the roof of the greenhouse as before. Though with more slack to allow it to droop down further at the front. Hopefully to provide more shade. 

 It did too! 72F and full sun outside. The greenhouse is now showing only 77F inside measured with the sensor in the shade. I call that a result! The secret is to have the shade net outside the glass. Even snowy white tarpaulins, on the inside, did not keep the heat out. It would often go above 100F! The images above show the doubled netting from the inside and out.

 Afternoon nap.

 16.40 Despite reaching 72F outside, still in full sun, the greenhouse remains just under 80F. There is only enough air movement to gently lift the net occasionally over the doors. This is a very satisfying result after decades of it being roasting hot out there. No drooping and dusty tarpaulins dragging on my head either.

 The balcony room has been hitting 90F in the afternoons. I am considering hanging more shade netting outside. The problem is the height of the ladder needed to reach the peak of the gable end for fixing a large and strong, eye screw up there. That would allow a cord to safely raise and lower a shade net. A central guy line could provide shape and tension to a square on the diagonal. 

 I can still remember fixing the timber cladding above the triangular windows. I had to lash my double, builder's ladder to my 5m roof ladder. Just to reach the top from the lawn below! It was quite scary!

 A washing line of bone dry t-shirts and pants has come in. A long row of socks has taken its place. The cycling gear is now getting its baptism in the washing machine. I am using sports wash liquid and the "Delicates" program. NO idea if this is necessary. Perhaps I should use "Synthetics?"

  The sky is turning white after being clear blue all day. Unsteady weather with light rain is promised for the next few days.  

  I have cleaned the hob [again.]

 

 

~~

No comments:

Post a Comment