29 Jun 2022

29.06.2022 46 miles.

 ~~

Google Blogspot has screwed up my blog!  Colours, background width, text and post widths and colours are hopeless! I shall attempt to mend it all later.

 Wednesday 29th 60F, sunny. Promise of sunny periods. Up at 5.45am after a reasonable night. No gnats! The birds are feeding on the fruit of the huge cherry trees.

 The recycling yard is open if I need it. No particular plans for today.

 I am having slightly more photographic success in the garden now. By using the 100-400mm lens for capturing flower close-ups from a distance. It allows me to reach flowers out in the bed where I cannot physically go without causing damage. 

 Not only that, but the longer focal lengths are isolating the flowers from their busy backgrounds. Though not always as successfully as I would like. Using a wide aperture helps. Provided the entire flower remains safely within sharp focus. Bright lighting helps here.

 A three-quarters of an hour walk to the village and back. Traffic variable. Hot sunshine again. So I wore just a t-shirt and thin cotton trousers but no jacket.

 I am going for a ride to Ringe. 30km both ways is a total of 40 miles. 

 It turned into 46 miles total in just under four hours. Averaging just over 11mph. A headwind going. Cross wind on the middle leg back. The cycle shop in the big shed was gone. I visited the other cycle shop up the road. They had an excellent range of helmets and a friendly owner. Though I didn't see a helmet I liked.

 The cycle path was blocked before Korinth on the way back. So I had to detour. No suggestion as to the best alternative route from that point onwards. I didn't even know which village it was where the way was blocked. How would strangers to the area cope? With a map or phone app, I suppose.

 The disused railway, cycle path and surrounding countryside were gorgeous from Ringe heading SW. I met very few people coming the other way. Pulling off in plenty of time to let them pass each time. Nobody caught up with me from behind. I was cruising at between 13 and 16mph on the perfect, asphalt surface. The original gritty "horse riding"  sand is now lost in grass and wild plants. There were several piles of horse droppings on the asphalt. So people are still riding along the path. It is clearly marked for horse, cycling and pedestrians. No scooters, cars or motorcycles allowed. There was a lot of graffiti on the signposts and placards showing wildlife, bird and historical features. But can they spray and chew gum at the same time?

 I was more sensible today than on my many of my previous rides. I bought a pack of Corny, mini, crunchy, dark chocolate bars. Eating one bar each hour and drinking one little carton of apple juice. I used to try eating the full sized bars but they were far too much for me. The mini bars are excellent. Just right as a riding snack. Very tasty and without repeating on me. The apple is tasty too and very refreshing through a straw. Unlike warm water in a bottle. 

 I was a bit tired and slightly saddle sore towards the end. I need to ride more and more often to extend my range. Though now I have a much better idea of my present level of fitness.

 17.00 75F. I didn't record the temperature earlier. I had a nap after a very late lunch. Then afternoon tea with a toasted roll. My arms were already slightly brown but now look redder. Though not burnt. They feel cool.

 The tiny extra backward movement of the saddle was difficult to judge. Whether it helped to reduce the strain on my hands. That said, I didn't notice my hands aching as much as on the last ride of only 34 miles. 

 With my shallow dropped, "racing" bars I have options for at least three hand position on the bars. Though I never use the drops themselves. I usually tend to rest on the bars just short of the lever hoods. Preferring the forward reaching section of bars just beyond the bends. For its greater area, padding and slightly more upright body position. With occasional bouts on the centres while climbing and sitting. Or on the hoods themselves when I might need braking in towns or traffic. Or dancing on the pedals in a climb.

 If I were to reverse the bars, front to back, I'd have an old fashioned sit-up-and-beg style. Which would present a very serious challenge to mounting "brifters." Racing gear and brake levers under rubber hoods. They will only fit on a bent & dropped "racing" handlebar. Gear changing would be impossible on any other form of bars.

 

 

~~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment