28 Apr 2022

28.04.2022 And there it was, gone.

 ~~

 Thursday 28th 36F, increasingly misty and overcast. Up at 5am from 10.30 bed time. Aching all over! I had better give the hedge clipping a rest! Two solid days is too much for the poor old bod. I was pushing the trailer down the field with all my strength as well. 

  07.00 41F and the mist has cleared to bright sunshine. I am having ever more ambitious ideas on hedge clearance and improved access. At the moment my back hurts too much to do anything very useful. So I must have a rest day. Whether I like it or not! A walk will usually help the aches and pains. 

 It did. Just my usual walk. I feel much better now. Still a warning to ease up on the weight lifting. Even swinging the chainsaw is no light exercise. 

 After a quick shopping trip I concentrated on removing the rotten tree stumps from the shared boundary. It was possible to separate the various stems if I cut through in the right places. The remains were wheel barrowed to the bottom of the garden. To provide additional habitat for wildlife. 

 I finally removed the rotten, double gates. Which I built years ago from Douglas Fir to keep the toxic neighbour's kids and dogs out. The rural Danes don't bother much with gates. This means I have to get a new post on which to hang the <cough> post box.

 This will change the postman's previous behaviour. I should arrange for them to place the post in the box without getting out of their van. Previously they would have to get out because the post box was on the gate. Would they prefer to reverse the 100m down to the house? Or reverse away? This sets which side of the drive I should mount the box. With the gates gone and the drive widened, there is no longer a risk of them reversing into them.

 I had a nap before lunch to catch up on my sleep. Yet again I was dropping off at the computer.

 16.20 I decided to take another load of beech hedge clippings to the recycling yard. 

 I was nearly ripped off by the supermarket. They had a truly vast display of boxes of tinned mackerel in tomato sauce. One might reasonably assume that a display of thousands of tins would suggest a bold discount. In fact the placard did offer a modest discount. Until I reached the till. Where I was charged over the odds by any normal pricing standards. 

 Whereupon I went back to the display and removed the price placard. When I reached the front of the queue again I was handed the difference in price. Without obvious regret or even so much as an apology. 

18.40 57F after another, long, sunny day.  A toast day, I think. Mackerel in tomato sauce on two slices of toast with tomato soup.

~~

No comments:

Post a Comment