17 Apr 2022

17.04.2022 75 not out.

 ~~

Sunday 17th 30F, light frost on the grass and all day bright sunshine promised. Up at 6am from a 10.30 bed time.

 Well, I made it to 75, not out. There were umpteen times I might not have made it this far. My life was twice saved from drowning. Once by my older brother and once by my wife. Then there were all the times I could have fallen to my death off a mountain, a cliff, a rock, my bike or trike. Or crashed on a motorcycle or in a car. I never owned a cycling helmet until well into my 60s. Or, I might have succumbed to any number of illness which fancied their chances. 

 The odds were always against my ever reaching this ripe, old age. I smoked for twenty years while still immature. Got drunk too many times in my youth. Walked on thin ice on frozen rivers. Was attacked with a knife by a complete waster. Thrown over a high wall by a rocker.

 Electric shocks, brake failure, no brakes, black ice, falling off ladders, falling off the roof. Scrambling under cars to fix them. While they rested on blocks. I have probably forgotten many potential, "deciding moments." If only due to all the times I have banged my head. Despite everything, I survived.

 My wife never smoked. Ate vitamins every day for decades. Ate only organic foods and drinks whenever there was a choice. Never ate crap. Was fitter and stronger than probably 90% of those a quarter of her age and twice her size. She never made it. So there is no card this year. No chocolates. No hug. Just tears. 

 8.50 46F.  I walked to the village and back. As it was warming quickly I wore my lighter jacket. Cold on my hands at first. Then increasingly sweaty in my pointlessly thick jumper. The wind turbines were still again. That will save the Germans some money.

 I took my secondhand TZ7 and my binoculars. Just for a change. A day of persistent vapour trails and only a few, high, pretty clouds. Three ducks were paddling on the church pond and [unusually] remained as I passed close by. A cyclist was out training but avoided my eye.

 I have no plans yet. The shops and the local, recycling yard are closed. I still have boxes. Lots of boxes to dispose of. I fancy another trike ride but it is impure escapism.

12.00 Just back from a gentle, tricycle tour around the back roads of the village. About 8 miles in all. I still have a gnawing tummy ache. It could be too much bread and bread rolls. Goggle suggests it could be spicy foods. I have been eating Sandwich Spread on rolls for the first time in years. Trying to cut down on my daily cheese.

 I found the other pickaxe with a handle. It was hidden under a hedge. Along with a bicycle and a large, outdoor, clothes drier. I spotted the bicycle first. Then the clothes drier. Finally the pickaxe. Which had a tin placed on the upright wooden handle to protect it from the rain. It hadn't.  

 No lunch today to see if that helps the tummy ache. I only had a cup of tea. No change so far.

14.30 56F.  Mid afternoon and I went around cleaning most of the windows. They hadn't been touched for years. No point when they all had net curtains. Or so many ornaments inside that it risked a row.

 Many of the panes are blown. Meaning there is moisture inside the double glazing units. It is possible to drill ventilation holes in the aluminium spacers. That means removing the glass. It also means making ventilation holes in the wooden frames. Too much work for such elderly windows. I'm not paying to have them professionally replaced. The next owners can replace them if they feel the need.

 I am having a lazy afternoon. Another cup of tea at 17.00. With only a digestive. Fingers crossed the pain subsides. Or there will be no dinner either.

 Risking everything I went with a fish pasty, peas and tomatoes for dinner. Apple juice for refreshment.

~~

No comments:

Post a Comment