7 Oct 2020

7.10.2020 Fifteen gorgeous, Autumn miles.

 ~~

Wednesday 7th 50-60F, rather cloudy with rain, but little sun, in the forecast. A light breeze is moving the treetops. Only a walk to the lanes under cotton ball skies. The sun broke through eventually.I thought I saw a Jay disappearing between the roadside trees.

There are some countryside scenes of which I never tire. The ever-changing light and textures,  just add to the pleasure.

The gulls' tiny, little, bird brains obviously believed Dunny Crumpet. When he said that there was nothing to fear from a disease which has killed more people in 9 months than in all the previous five years from flu. The gulls, in case you were still wondering, had returned in their thousands. To their tight huddle on top of the hill. 

Later I rode 15 very hilly miles on an errand. A headwind on the way back only slightly spoilt a perfect day for cycling. It was even windy in the forest as I did a detour to add a couple of extra miles. Despite the hills I deliberately chose my route for its beauty, views and lack of traffic. Autumn colours are always a delight. The forecast for rain went unanswered. The sky a thoroughly mixed and delightful concoction as usual.

My knees have been hurting as I climb our steep stairs at home. Something I do dozens of times a day in our "upside down" home. Which made me wonder if the lack of cycling was contributing to the pain. It could hardly be blamed since I wasn't doing any. 

My chest has been bunged up too. Which suggests that cycling helps to clear it. I was certainly more breathless than usual on the hills but not enough for serious discomfort. 

I deliberately climbed long and sometimes steep ascents today. Keeping up my cadence was a struggle. Though my knees did not complain. Fortunately they were no worse on my return.

I had changed the bottom bracket and the new axle proved to be too long at 112mm for the Campag front changer. The square axle original was only 103mm. When most are only as short as 107mm. Unfortunately the original BB set wasn't sealed. It proved, on inspection, to not use proper journal bearings. It had ball grooves in the axles to avoid sideways movement. The bearing housing which were only pretending to be sealed units were actually loose. The housing a mere spacer. It was an unbelievably rusty mess when I finally stripped it out due to clonking under load. 

I tried loosening the front changer stop screws today but couldn't reach the outer ring. I have a 107mm Shimano on order but doubt it will allow smooth, front, gear changes. I use Spa-Stronglight-TA chainsets for their small inner chain rings.

 

~~

No comments:

Post a Comment