15 Nov 2019

15.11.2019 As if through a mist, darkly.

*

Friday 15th 41F, heavy overcast and rather windy. The car is covered in leaves from the hedges. They have taken their time in shedding their leaves while most of the trees are already bare. With the exception of the red oaks which are still clinging to many of their brown leaves.

Just a walk to the lanes where a pair of small deer were browsing on the crops. The gulls were reluctant to settle again after I disturbed them. Whirling in circles in the strong wind. It's odd how they all rest together in large numbers on particular fields. Yet don't seem to forage for food.

I zipped up my new jacket for the first time today. I usually only do up the poppers but the eye watering wind was blowing inside the rain flap from that side. I passed a single bush beside the road and the wind dropped to almost nothing. There are only a few hedges on the edges of these big fields.

The field flooding has finally shrunk to almost nothing. Leaving a large, brown scar to be re-cultivated and re-sewn. A pair of Goshawks were soaring slowly overhead, several times today. A cold, grey day made worse by the wind.

Saturday 16th 46F, dark grey, misty overcast but light winds today. All day rain forecast by both weather websites. One offering rain and sunny periods. The other just grey skies with rain. As we approach 8:30am it seems to be getting darker by the minute! Fine drizzle accompanied me on my walk to the lanes. I tried to capture the mist with my camera but everything just looked out of focus. A dead mink lay on the verge. Bigger than most cats it was.

In the end, we went with the rain all day, hold the sunshine, option.

Sunday 18th 38-43F, cool, sunny morning with cloud forecast after lunch. Walked to the lanes. The three deer were grazing at their favourite, undisturbed spot. Out in the rolling fields against their hedge. A cold, easterly breeze has made it feel much colder than usual. A shopping trip has been approved for this afternoon. And so it was. In weakened sunlight I set off on my mission to restock the larder. Duly provisioned, I returned heavily laden. For the grand total of some 7 miles. Which to some might be worth a chortle. While others might consider it a marathon. From the viewpoint of advancing old age. Myself included, were it ten times the distance. I was once a mileage snob too.

Click on any image for an enlargement.

*

No comments:

Post a Comment