2 Oct 2019

2nd October 2019 On autumn sogginess.

*

Wednesday 2nd 40-48F, clear and bright. First cold night this autumn steamed up all the windows. We have yet to ignite the wood stove. Both forecasters would have us believe it is cloudy. Though it isn't. Only one forecasts a wet afternoon. Eany meany..

I walked anticlockwise up to the woods by the steep track and then made the first, autumn, direct descent. The grass everywhere was extremely wet. I shall have to dig out my gaiters. There was a small [Roe?] deer  sunbathing in the hedge up on the ridge. I took several images at full zoom and cropped the best of them to bring out the deer.

I really don't want to get into DSLRs and heavy lenses just for these rare occasions. Though I ought to take some reading glasses to help me see the Lumix TZ7 screen. But what a bore to have to take out glasses every time I want to take a "snap!" Which is most of the time. I can only make out general features and am completely blind to any text or numerals on the screen. Thank goodness the menus are more "sturdily built" and therefore legible. I am a martyr to one diopter reading glasses on the computer. Though I need an additional half diopter for important things like DIY brain surgery. [Using a shaving mirror.] Lest thee doubt my words.

I should really call my photography "lucky imaging" but that is something else entirely. This is a technique where software-selected, "sharper" frames are saved from videos. To [hopefully] make an even sharper and much more detailed final "still." All the poorer frames being discarded.

A fairly large bird of prey was looking for breakfast and ignored my presence as I stared up at it through my binoculars. Pointy wings and lots of white plumage suggest a Goshawk, but what do I know?

It rained in the afternoon. Dashing all hope of a ride to collect the items only promised by the supermarkets but which inevitably failed to turn up. Yet again! Several chains couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery. And that, is a mortal sin in beer loving Denmark.

I am decidedly of the opinion, that the supermarkets literally take stuff off the shelves every time there is a special offer. Then they can pocket the difference to profit from their own suppliers. Who probably subsidised the product at a discount to the chain. There is never [ever] any shortage of the special offer the week after it has finished. You can set your watch by the loaded trolley coming out of the back room. Don't get in the way of the staff!

Perhaps the new government will invent consumer protection for the Danes. Though I'm not holding my breath. After all, they haven't pushed through their plans for doubling their already, extremely generous, lifelong, tax-free pensions as a reward for a short stint of being self-important.

Still absolutely no mention of how they plan to cut CO2  by 0.00001%. Let alone 70%. Or whatever nonsense they promised an endlessly gullible electorate. We are putting off burning the last of the furniture. Just in case "They" decide to subsidise an alternative means of warming the largely uninsulated, Danish, housing stock.

Luckily we each own down jackets. These were culled from charity shops before they were stripped bare by container lorry driving, East Europeans. Apparently, and I have it on good authority, their own Mafia sells even the clothes and toys donated to charity by warm hearted, Western Europeans. Meanwhile we two, warm hearted, immigrant bods cower under blankets while we watch TV. With constant water droplets hanging from the ends of our noses as ice forms on the double glazing. I had to get rid of the central heating when we moved in.

Not only did it roar like an F16 jet engine, ready for take-off, but it swallowed heating oil like it was water. Every time we had the tank refilled, at twice-weekly intervals, the oil man insisted on checking the system. Then charging us an arm and a leg for the privilege. That system was not long for our world. Obviously installed by an amateur with a penchant for black iron piping crossing every threshold in the entire place. The same amateur who had installed doors after the medieval practice of aiming for eye level lintels. I lost more skin from my scalp in those first few weeks than in any of my previous lifetimes.

Click on any image for an enlargement.


*

No comments:

Post a Comment