9 Dec 2021

9.12.2021 Mark Cavendish & family attacked at home.

 ~~

Thursday 9th 33-34F, heavy overcast, light, wintry showers. No snow visible. Distant mist yet again.

__________________________________________

 Mark Cavendish and his wife have been threatened and assaulted at home by armed burglars. Mark was recovering from injuries sustained in a race in Belgium. Two broken ribs had put him in intensive care! 

Their children were present and allegedly threatened by the same, cowardly scum. Mark has put in unbelievable effort, over decades, to achieve his legendary wins and results. His toll of injuries would put lesser men into retirement or even a wheelchair. To have that undermined by a bunch of complete wasters is sickening! No doubt their loot has already been fenced into another fix.

___________________________________________

 Just my usual 40 minute walk without photos. I wore the GripGrab 'Aviator' medieval hood for extra warmth. My fur lined "trapper" hat is very warm but lacks a peak. Which would otherwise help to keep flying snow flakes out of my eyes. I couldn't wear my usual peaked cap over the thick, fur hat. That didn't work yesterday.

  So I am trying different combinations of hats. To cover my ears and have a peak. All the while having the hood up on my winter jacket. Still far from perfect. The combination of wind and snow flakes is the problem. 

 All very trivial for a short walk within easy reach of home. The temperature is hovering constantly around freezing. So I might as well make the effort for greater comfort while it lasts. I don't have any skiing goggles and it would seem like total overkill if I had. 

 I have tried yellow, safety glasses for their wrap around protection. They are still not ideal for occasional, wind blown snow. I wear these on my trike in winter and under overcast skies. They are fine in keeping the wind out of my eyes. You can't possibly take any cyclist seriously if they wear dark sunglasses when the sky is dark! It is so incredibly amateurish as well as utterly depressing! 😎 

______________________________________

 The ride I had promised myself was finally managed today. There was nothing much falling out of the skies. So I took a chance. Rather an ambitious route for someone with very little mileage of late. 16 hilly miles with a bit of a headwind proved to be quite hard work. My left knee has been hurting when climbing the stairs for weeks. Cycling did not make it feel worse. Though I was well aware of my knee when I let my cadence drop below 90rpm. 

 I filled my 40 liter bag right up to the brim outside the supermarket. With at least 15kg of different cans. These products had been unavailable for a couple of weeks locally. On the way home the breeze was now on my back. Not that I could feel any advantage. I felt just as cold on the descents as I crept up to 25mph in places. My calves felt stiff when I climbed off at home but it soon passed. Late for lunch too!

~~

No comments:

Post a Comment