24 Dec 2021

24.12.2021 White Christmas Eve.

 ~~

Friday 24th 32F, snow cover of about an inch or two. [25-50mm] Heavy overcast but with a promise of sunshine this afternoon. No more snow forecast, for the moment, but a hard frost [-8C] tonight.

It was a leaden overhead in a monochrome world for my walk. Mixed flocks of small birds moved about in the hedgerows.  A few Redwings, gulls and blackbirds shared the scene. With jackdaws, rooks and crows foraging on the ground. 

A rich brown, bird of prey perched and cried loudly on a distant hedge. It looked strangely lopsided. As if its far wing was caught in the prickly tree. I stared through my binoculars but couldn't be certain of what I saw. Luckily it had moved away on my return. Which saved me crossing the field to see if it needed help. Though even that risked injury if it panicked. I have seen this same bird several times this week. Usually on the wing and retreating. About the size of a Harrier. Noticeably flat wings during frequent gliding episodes.

There was a light flurry of snow just now at 10.30.

 ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment