8 Dec 2021

8.12.2021 Wet snow.

 ~~

Wednesday 8th 36-34F, 08.35, extremely heavy overcast with gales from SE. The storm from Ireland has reached Denmark but is much weakened. Rain or wintry showers are promised. 

I didn't leave until 8.40. Because I had waited for it to get light enough for safety on the road. My timing was poor. The snowfall had suddenly become more serious. It started wet and was falling almost horizontally as the wind roared in the roadside trees. The snow was pattering wetly on my hood at times. Then the snow became gradually thicker and drier but was still slow to pitch. Only on the return leg did it start to pack onto my clothes. I took to the verges with each passing vehicle out of a sense of self-preservation. I have no plans to become a crash test dummy to their [seemingly] drunken inattention.

I was soon white from head to toe. With the grass still lagging behind. Visibility was below 200 meters. Back home and my jacket is now draining off into the bath. 58F indoors as the trees rock back and forth intermittently. The roofs have turned white now. 

I had plans for a cycle ride today but it isn't going to happen soon. We have run out of a particular commodity. Which seems to have vanished from all the local shops. There is always another village supermarket to try. Provided they can be reached safely. A hilly, fourteen miles would have cleared the cobwebs in my lungs.


~~

No comments:

Post a Comment