7 Nov 2021

7.11.2021 When is "a road accident" not an accident?

 ~~

Sunday 7th 45F, calm but with a leaden overcast. We are promised a mixed day of sunshine and showers. Accompanied by westerly winds. The sky soon broke up to blue, low sun and cloud.

Just my usual walk to the lanes in a stiff westerly wind. Though a crash test dummy tried to run me down on a long straight. He had quarter of a mile to notice me but chose to hold his position on the road with his wheels running along the verge, white line. Painted only centimeters from the grass itself. I took to the grass verge to avoid his attempted vehicular homicide. 

Probably just another drunk driver? Driving without a license, insurance, vehicle tax or periodic vehicle safety testing. 8.30am seems a bit early to be that drunk. Sometimes they get a family member to register their car. Or routinely drive their wife's car. 

I have twice had my car damaged by mint chewing drunks in their "wife's cars." Time and again these drunken drivers are banned but continue driving. We read about them every time the police hold a national road safety check. Their car is confiscated but they are straight back on the road afterwards.

Drug driving is an increasingly popular sport according to police reports. One chap had his car confiscated after a land speed record attempt, in town, with a long list of illegal substances in his blood.  Mobile phone use behind the wheel is still extremely commonplace. Their ignorance and arrogance. As they jerk the car back on line. Having completely overshot a familiar corner. Is a daily occurrence in my own experience on my daily morning walks.

Without the slightest exaggeration, I would be killed or injured dozens of times a year if I did not walk defensively. I routinely and voluntarily take to the verge to let lorries and buses pass freely. At other times I must step, or jump onto the verge to avoid being struck by cars and vans. Many of which are on human auto-pilot. With no sign of any kind of intelligence.

Some, but not all, veer away at the last possible moment before impact. Far too many never steer away at all! Continuing on the same track as if I simply did not exist. Nor can they blame being blinded by a low sun in their eyes. For which I always make very generous allowances to avoid mishaps. They are just as bad when driving with the sun behind them! Just as bad when there is no oncoming traffic.

The average standard of driving is appalling! Large, luxury cars, with drivers who literally and consistently ignore all the rules of the road. They cut every single left hand bend crossing [worn out] double white lines. Totally ignoring opposing traffic. Or repeatedly overshoot into the opposite lane on all the opposite [right hand] corners across [similarly worn out] double white lines. They speed everywhere on the straights but corner like complete novices. 

Sheer laziness or sociopathic behaviour? Ignorance of the law? Or do they feel entitled to display such poor road behaviour because they own a Mercedes-BMW-Audi kit of OEM parts? To the point of repeatedly risking a head on collision on every single bend? 

I would be mortified if I overshot a single corner while driving! Yet I can safely corner at speeds far higher than they do. I treat every corner/bend as a learning exercise. Just as I have done since being taught by a skilled, professional, driving instructor many decades ago. My concentration is always on the road ahead and around me. Reading the road and driving defensively.

After a bright start it became very wet. With frequent, heavy showers. Lasting until long after dark. [At 16.30pm CET]

~~

No comments:

Post a Comment