14 Mar 2021

14.03.2021 Look deer!

 ~~

Sunday 14th 36F, bright start, light winds and some thin cloud. Time to get some more exercise.

A longer walk today. Mostly in bright sunshine but with variable cloud cover. A small pair of Roe deer were sunbathing against a distant hedge. Then they were joined by two hares. I plodded up to the local viewpoint but it was badly spoilt by haze. 

A familiar farm track down to the lake beckoned. As I came around a corner of a tall hedge there was a group of 5-6 deer grazing. They were gathered in a dark opening under the trees. 

I had the sun directly behind me and the wind in my face. Several deer moved away but a doe and her young buck hung around. Staring intently at me but unable to make a decision about the likely threat I offered.

Rather unusually I had lots of time. So I just kept snapping away trying different camera settings. The image is shrunk from a 5000 pixel original to 1000 pixels for the blog. Reduced to Medium format. [Click for enlargement.] Slightly cropped for composition. 200mm [MFT] with 1.4x [in camera] Teleconverter and 4x digital zoom. Which is 1120mm MFT or 2240mm [Full Frame] hand held with dual stabilisation. The deer were about 150 yards away. Lumix G9 with Leica-Lumix 50-200mm. 

The lake was well furnished with Mallards and Shelducks but the light was directly ahead. Making photography a bit of a struggle. 213 images in total in an hour and three quarters. 

~~

No comments:

Post a Comment