7 Feb 2021

7.02.2021 And colder still!

 ~~

Sunday 7th 24F/-5C outdoors. 50F/10C indoors. Overcast and windy again! Some sunny periods are threatened but look unlikely right now. Yesterday's generous dollop of sunshine had no noticeable affect on indoor temperatures. Little sign of the snow melting so far. 

I am still wearing the GripGrab "Pilot" scull cap and "Nordic" split winter mitts on my walks. The hat provides good protection for the ears and back of the neck when walking or cycling in winter. It has a soft finish which is very comfortable under a helmet or hood. They do a thinner one for autumn and spring in the same close fitting "medieval" design.

The mitts are fine on a bike/trike but I find them a little too clumsy for photography with my old, TZ7 compact camera. Perhaps I ought to try harder? It's not as if these mitts are particularly bulky. I could even practice indoors. You have to be an idiot/masochist to take off your gloves at -5C in a gale just to take snaps of the snow! 😉

I went through years of winter cycling agony before finally finding the [GG] Nordic mitts. I have no connection with GripGrab, or any other company and openly detest all advertising in every form. I just feel I ought to pass on the message when I find something really useful. Just don't buy them from Amazon.slavery.con. Support a local retailer if you can. Not a global, sociopathic dictator. 

It had reached 25F/-4C by the time I left for my brisk, 35 minute walk. It was blowing a gale and expected to become slightly worse. Gusts to 17m/s is about 35mph in old money. It was roaring in the hedges and trees again. Where the farmers hadn't already been subsidised to rip them out. A few Jackdaws and a solitary Fieldfare. Plus three, Sunday joggers. I kept my hood fastened and still had to use an extra [gloved] hand. To protect my face from the chilling wind off the miles of open fields. The DMI has just issued a snow drift warning due to the wind speed.

~~

No comments:

Post a Comment