30 Jun 2019

30th June 2019 The Big Hot!

*

Sunday 30th 73-84F and bright and breezy at 8.00. With 86F, 30C promised around lunchtime. THG has been moving her plants out of the greenhouse in preparation for "The Big Hot." Nothing we have tried so far in the way of shading has helped very much. Just spread the blinding light out a bit so welding goggles aren't quite so necessary.  Don't believe the adverts when they show real people in greenhouses on a sunny day. They are probably shop mannequins and even then they would have to whip them out after the photo shoot. Before they, quite literally, melted away.

My back pain keeps hiding and then sneaking back again. A walk will probably help. Though I worry about getting half way and then having to crawl back on my hands and knees. All walks must inevitably involve an "out and back." That is once I am allowed out of the gate at The Servant's Entrance with a 2 hour [conditional] pass.

It could be much, much worse! THG was talking about having me "chipped" back when I'd think nothing of going off for a 7-8 hour ride "to the shops" on the trike. Imagine the embarrassment of being returned as "lost property" in a marked police van. I don't think I could have lived with the shame. So I took up compulsory morning walks instead.
 
Stepping outside the back door into blinding sunshine, to don my walking boots, was like stepping off a plane in some tourist "hot spot." Not that I can hold a discourse on the subject from first hand experience. Our last holiday was well over 30 years ago and involved two frosty nights in a tent on a sheep's field in Snowdonia.

Which probably explains why we were in absolutely no hurry to repeat the mistake. It could be fairly said that we are not "people" people. The mere idea of sitting on a beach with several million, corpulent basking bods in a state of undress, is now totally abhorrent to both of us. We tried that once, too, but I wasn't allowed to look.

My back behaved itself today as I plodded steadily under a baking sun to the village and back. A solitary Mallard was following the advice in the newspapers. By cooling off with his feet immersed in the church pond. It is coming up to to 10.am as I wait for morning coffee and hot marmalade on toast and it has already reached a sweltering 78F. There is a good breeze going. So I risked condemnation by the neighbours in raising my arms to simulate a chick cooling off in the nest. Surely nobody would be daft enough to think I was hoping to fly? It topped out at 84F or 29C.


*

No comments:

Post a Comment