13 Jun 2019

13th June 2019 Gotta have a scooter or three [hundred.]

*

Thursday 13th 59-66F, bright with variable cloud. Last evening's intense storm passed right over us according to the radar and weather maps. We heard a couple of rumbles early on and then nothing. Odd. We are promised some sunshine today.

My concerns about electric bikes have, in hideous reality, fallen on electric, children's scooters meant for adults. Many cities are reeling under the impact of these very unlikely machines. Poor riding behaviour and abandoning the [child's] scooter in the middle of the pavement or cycle path seems to have become a [child-like] habit. 

Copenhagen is amongst other cities in introducing measures to curb the push-along, electric scooters numbers. Also to define lighting and reflector needs, maximum speeds, etc. I am struggling to imagine how such a small-wheeled machine can safely manage the everyday hurdles of city riding surfaces. Even with my 700 [28"] wheels I am constantly shaken and endlessly avoiding obstacles.

Not least all the roadside drain grills left half raised [or half closed?] by the half-hearted council attempts to lift them for cleaning the drains. Odd, isn't it? They spend billions on building countless, flash flood ponds and then completely ignore the roadside drains. It only takes a heavy dew to have a long stretch of standing water on the main road! I keep expecting to see a narrow boat or even a Viking ship plying this channel. It's a fraught experience trying to navigate one very wet, blind corner without a compass. I can attest to the fact that the Earth really is curved just there. Though the only vessels likely to fall off the edge are Audis. 

Meanwhile, back at the ranch: The Moulton required front and rear suspension to survive normal roads and is still unusual. While the small-wheeled rigid "shopper" bicycle of the last century is now a rarity. Some makes of small-wheeled bikes have their fan base but I simply can't imagine touring on one. They seem to have developed into a compactly folding city bike for well heeled commuters. You know, the kind which can afford hundreds of pounds for a tweed bag. Many Chinese variants hoping to bypass the established players.

I see quite a number of very small wheeled bikes near marinas. Where onboard stowage is obviously very limited. Small-wheeled racing bikes were banned from competition by the UCI. The same corrupt institution which held back progress towards multiple gears and any replacement for steel shod, wooden wheels. Many recumbents use smaller wheels but the UCI banned those too. I expect they'd ban me too if only they knew what to charge me with. Riding while expressing insubordination?

That doesn't stop huge numbers of riders enjoying the comfort of an arm chair. Well, they have to be comfortable for those long [and very slow] climbs. I remember destroying the seat of my home-made recumbent back in the middle of the last century when I tried to climb a local steep hill on the way home from work. The seat position fixes the pedal reach so the rest of the journey was not without its problems.

The weight of normal 700 x wheels has led to ultra-expensive, carbon fiber rims for competition. I was truly shocked at the weight of the parcel carrying my two new Durano tyres and a couple of new inner tubes. Thank goodness I didn't order three tyres! Or I'd have needed a sack truck to reach the bike shed from the front gate after the postman delivered them in his van.

So, it's not the 70kg ABUS Mini-U lock holding me back from international cycling glory after all. It's the bits which are whizzing around in full view as I travel at breakneck speeds loaded down with shopping. Your definition of "breakneck" may vary from mine. My average speed, according to the battery-hungry, Sigma computer is now down to 11mph. Oh, the awful shame of it! And I'm [only] seventy two, you know!

Just a short, half hour walk to the lanes. A hare was sitting in the  middle of the lane as a White Van Man approached from behind. The hare waited until the very last moment before dashing towards me. Then took a sharp turn into the crops. That's about as much excitement as I need in one day. Breezy now, with warm sunshine. I can feel a short ride coming on.

And so it was. A short, afternoon, shopping trip for 7 miles. Crosswind going both ways. Going well too. Reached 18mph on the flat despite the newly hacked, 69.998kg ABUS Mini-U lock lifting the font wheel at intervals. I really need a mid frame clamp for the lock. Then I'd be balanced more like a mid-engined, sports car. Rather than a Porsche. 😉

*

No comments:

Post a Comment