25 Jan 2019

24th January 2019 Brrr!

 *

Thursday 24th, 24.8F, -4C, cold, dark grey and breezy. I was fairly comfortable on the first half of my walk. At the turn it put me face on into the light Easterly wind. I doubt it was more than 5mph but my own forward velocity made it feel even colder. The GripGrab Nordic mitts were fine on the outward leg but lacked enough natural warmth for the return journey. I wasn't making much warmth from walking to keep my extremities cosy.

I was walking with my hands behind my back with my hands folded over each other. Even in my fleece trousers over skiing long johns I could feel the cold pressing onto my legs. The jacket had also found its limits despite two jumpers over a T-shirt and then a fleece jacket for extra layers. Yesterday I was too warm and walking with my hat and gloves off. Another day when the temperatures will not rise above freezing. With possibly heavy snow forecast for the days ahead. It stayed at 24-25F, -4C all day as I worked outside on a woodworking project.

Friday 25th 25F, -4C, dark grey but calm start. Heavy snow expected later. It didn't feel as cold today. The wind had gone round to the SW. Just a 40 minute walk to the lanes. It's amazing how many people wave as they pass in their cars and vans. I suppose they see me every day on their commute and I seem familiar. Heavy shopping in the car.

Saturday 26th 32F, dark grey and breezy but falling calm. The inch of overnight snow is already melting with rain expected. It was slippery and drizzling on my walk. With the roads slushy in stripes. I retreated onto the verge with the arrival of each vehicle. Most of them got the right idea and continued in their lane. Those who pulled further out sprayed slush everywhere and risked their adhesion! The usual Saturday morning shooting broke out from different directions but all were out of sight. The sky is clearing, briefly, to weak sunshine now. Becoming very misty.

Sunday 27th 38F, dark grey, misty, all day rain forecast. Busied myself on woodworking projects despite the rain.


Click on any image for an enlargement.

*

No comments:

Post a Comment