27 Aug 2019

27th August 2019 Baling woes.

*

Tuesday 27th 66-82F, overcast clearing to sunshine. More hot weather forecast but now with the potential for cloudbursts and thunder. It was "snowing" yesterday as they harvested oil seed rape in the fields all around us. You would not believe the vast clouds of dust!

A baler was trundling around the harvested fields. So I snapped away at a distance. Then decided to walk briskly around the block to catch him the other side. Only to discover he had broken down. The journey is the thing. 

I had better finish rebuilding the trike. I found the bearing covers for the rear, gear changer pulleys in the bottom of the rinsing tub. Those will only take a few minutes extra to fit. Because I had already cleaned the mechanism. The pulleys were almost locked up and the central bearing surfaces appeared rusty.

I tend to spray chain lubricant liberally at the pulleys whenever I oil the chain. The chain lubricant obviously isn't getting into the pulley [plain] bearings thanks to the metal covers. Ordinary bicycle oil is probably better at finding its way in there. Or grease packing?

The pressed metal covers sit in narrow, concentric grooves in the pulleys. So there is a difficult route for fluids both in and out. Perhaps Campag greases them in the factory and then expects regular maintenance? Could that be the reason for the over-fussy mouldings of the plastic pulleys? They want the end-user to keep everything clean. Or to keep replacing the pulleys. I need a better degreasant. I have just used up  the last of a spray can of engine cleaner. Several applications, leaving it to soak in, brushing well and then rinsing thoroughly still leaves a lot of dirt behind.

After a ride to confirm all was well I set off for a short shopping trip.  Only 7 miles plus one. I really missed my big, yellow bag! Had to make to do with the tiny, Carradice, Camper Longflap. With two other bags sliding about on top.

There was very localized rain while I was out. Every time I came out of a supermarket [all with AC] it felt like a sauna outside. The baler was busy again on my return. A long, hot afternoon tidying the garden and trying to stay in the shade.


Click on any image for an enlargement.

*

No comments:

Post a Comment