17 Aug 2019

16th August 2019 Rain or no rain? Yes.

 *

Friday 16th 59-64F, dark grey overcast and occasionally breezy. Supposed to be dry today. Walked to the soggy lanes after overnight rain. Some unpleasant smells on the air. The news is that Herr Von Chump wants to buy Greenland from Denmark. I'd suggest that hell will freeze over before Denmark will sell it to that evil, circus clown. After a grey morning, with showers, it has brightened up at lunch time. I wasn't allowed a gate pass because I shopped yesterday.

Saturday 17th 58-64F, heavy overcast, raining hard and blowing. Will we get a break from the rain today? Who knows? Being the hero, which I undoubtedly am, I set off in heavy rain. My back and the backs of my trouser legs were soon wet, and cold. The wind and sheeting rain were following me down the road. I made a mad dash to exit via a handy junction. Just as a vast lorry arrived in a huge cloud of white spray making it almost invisible within.

For my undoubted pluck, I was rewarded with steadily reducing rainfall. It still didn't help the registered blind to avoid me in my big, bright orange jacket. Several drivers maintained their courses along perfectly straight roads. Which guaranteed certain impact, until the very last moment, when they suddenly veered away.  Are they part of the 25% of Danes on mind and behaviour altering drugs to make them the happiest drug abusers on the planet? Bring on the self driving cars and do it now! Preferably before somebody [like me] gets hurt! Another grey day. Brief sunshine at about 17.00.

Sunday 18th 57-62F, heavy overcast. Risk of rain around lunch time. Walk first, then I'm going for a ride even if no shopping is involved. It's my trike and I'll ride if I want to.. tra-la! Walked to the lanes under grey skies. Morning coffee and rolls and then left at 10.00 for a ride to more distant shops.

Riding via rural lanes route to avoid main roads. Several chains of young teenagers were riding the opposite way all dressed in high viz jackets. So presumably some sort of organized event. It started spitting with rain earlier than forecast. I continued in my short sleeved racing jersey and shorts.

Following the shopping I met groups of serious cyclists going the other way at high speed. It must be the annual Fyn cycle event. I sometimes used to get tangled up in them back when I was riding more often and much more quickly. Now I'm glad they are not overtaking me. The sheer numbers of riders involved in these rides is unbelievable.

It can be quite unnerving to have highly experienced peloton riders overtake in large numbers only a few cm away! Still going remarkably well despite my continuing low mileages. Only 17 miles. Keeping the revs well up as the rain steadily increased to mildly irritating along with the wind.


Click on any image for an enlargement.

*

No comments:

Post a Comment