1 Feb 2019

1st February 2019 Out and about.

*

Friday 1st February 32-35F, dark grey, cold and windy. My intended walk up to the woods and back another way was curtailed by a giant muck spreader on my route. So I looped back through the forest and returned along the main track. Australia has just recorded record January temperatures and the first ever averaging over 30C.

Saturday 2nd 33-35F dark grey overcast with light winds. Walked to the village and back. Hoping for a ride today. Did my regular Saturday ride to a more distant village. 14 miles. Light winds under dark grey skies. My winter gear was too warm and I had to remove my hat and cycling cardigan for the supermarkets.

Heavily laden on the way home which always feels uphill. I just checked and my destination was 60 meters [200 feet] lower than home. So it really is a long climb on the way back. I've never thought to check the elevation figures before.

I seem to be going quite well but my speed has dropped despite easily maintaining 90-100 rpm and constantly pushing myself.

I keep wondering how far I could ride these days when the weather improves. In the past I'd think nothing of doing a 50 miles round trip just to shop for a single item in Odense. Which usually involved sprinting between widely spread shops before heading home with my prize.

Sunday 3rd 33F, a dusting of overnight snow with the dark overcast clearing. Today I just walked a loop to the far woods as a the leaden sky was pushed away to the east. Even brought some brief sunshine home after seeing it light up distant views.

A couple of pony riders were enjoying the quiet lanes under sprawling oaks. A female Kestrel shot across the road looking for trouble from the fidgety, breakfasting rooks up ahead. They had commandeered a lone, midfield tree but seemed dissatisfied with their lot. I was glad of my yellow glasses as I walked back into the cold, westerly wind against the increasing traffic.


Click on any image for an enlargement.
*

No comments:

Post a Comment