25 Nov 2018

24th November 2018: A thatched Trykit? Surely not?

*

Saturday 24th 35-36F, dark grey with light winds. Another grey walk down to the village and back in a thin wind. I had forgotten my GripGrab "Camel Toe" gloves, this morning. So overcame any risk of frostbite by plunging my hands deep into my pockets. Thereby adding a further variation to my silly walks repertoire, according to The Head Gardener.

I keep having nightmares about the authenticity of my Ecco walking boots. I bought them at a discount online and they have been nothing but trouble from day one. The right boot has now developed a squeaky fart with every step. I may have to alter my routes to avoid embarrassment. You know how The Village People talk!

Talking of embarrassment: The Trykit has gone ginger and developed chest hair. Or pubic hair? Depends on your point of view: Thought for the day: Avoid larches. They drop vast quantities of self-adhering needles at this time of year! We are surrounded in the damned things!

I was allowed out in fine drizzle under a dismal sky for a shopping ride to a village in the Far North. Seemed to be going as well as usual. Saw two different, large birds of prey, close to the road. Still trying to keep my cadence as high as possible. Only 13 miles. Unlucky for some?

Well some people nearly died in their desperation to get past with a huge truck coming the other way. Lift off for a fraction of a second? Nah. That would mean driving at the speed limit and that would never do. The neighbours would talk and they would be ostracized. It would be tantamount to being seen outside the hyggelige home at exactly 6pm. When every self-respecting Dane is tucking into minced pig burgers and sose. The latter a Danish variation on English gravy but made from flour and colouring according to my sauces.

Sunday 25th 36F, dark grey with light winds. I walked around the 3 mile rural block. Hunters were making an awful racket in the far woods. Each salvo wrapped in a halo of reverberating echoes. Somebody seemed to have taken a long a cannon just for the fun of it. 

I keep wanting to put my bike computer on a telescoping, forward projecting pole. I can't read my cadence while I'm standing on the pedals on a climb. My high, seated, pedal revs drop rapidly. 95>~80rpm. Requiring at least two upward changes of gears to gain enough resistance. Without pedal resistance my arms tire too quickly supporting my entire body weight only on the brake hoods. I'm presently a martyr to Tennis Elbow despite never knowingly having played. Was I there?

Changing up and down between different pairs of gears is a nuisance. When I sit back down I am over-geared. Stand up again and I am foolishly under-geared. Even having 22 gears is not enough with present, mechanical Campag Chorus levers.  The electric changing stuff is still far too expensive for my tastes and pocket. It must be those rare earth magnets. "Rare" as in coming from the largest quarries on earth. Expensive? As in the pennies for a fridge magnet, cheap?


Click on any image for an enlargement. 
*

No comments:

Post a Comment