20 Aug 2018

20th August 2018 Autumn already?

*

Monday 20th 62F, heavy overcast with a light breeze after overnight rain. Just a brisk walk to the lanes and back for 40 minutes of exercise. There are about 100 sparrows moving around the local hedges. I spotted two tabby kittens. No ride today.

Tuesday 21st 50F, bright and calm after a cooler night. A pleasant morning for a walk. Or to lime every field for miles as the breeze picked up. From the top of the rise leading into the woods I watched a small deer grazing on the strip of corn.

Late morning ride to the shops. A couple of clubmen out training waved. Only 7 miles.

Wednesday 22nd 62-78F, a warm one! No ride today.

Thursday 23rd 64-68?F, bright overcast with a breeze. I'm promised an early ride to the shops. There were a few bright moments but mostly a headwind. I detoured on the way back just to make a ride of it.  A dozen pheasants were poking abut opposite a junction. I'm not sure who was more surprised. Only 10 miles. I rode a couple of miles at lunch time looking for the postman after receiving an email falsely confirming a delivery. They finally turned up an hour later.

Friday 24th 61/65?F, overcast and breezy. No walk today. A windy day with heavy showers in the afternoon as I tried to work outside. No ride today.

I discovered my front brake was jammed on when I went to put the trike away. Rotating the whole brake and repeated application of the lever freed it. I added some more oil to the pivots, of course. Modern brakes aren't made like they once were. At least, not for those who don't clean and maintain their machines like they once did. Winter salting and repeated rain must eventually take their toll. I wish they'd use stainless steel fasteners for the pivot bolts. Mine are positively "furry" with corrosion. The pivots do get oiled whenever I remember to do so. I'll try to remember to check the brake's freedom from the rims while I'm at it.

Saturday 25th 58F, cool, grey and windy. Showers forecast but dry so far. A 40 minute walk. A Sparrowhawk left a roadside tree like a rocket aiming for a conifer several hundred yards away across a field. It was still there on my return. The traffic was almost non-existent on the way out but recovered on my way back. I was too busy for a ride and getting plenty of exercise anyway. A red deer and two young were grazing on the large front lawn. It is our neighbours' lawn. Not ours. What they call "borrowed landscape."

Sunday 26th 51-65F, bright but cool, with a light breeze. Showers possible. 40 minute walk. Lots of pheasants on the fields. Hundreds of swallows gathering too. Early ride to the shops. Fist cool morning so far. The hedgerows are laden with wild fruits. Only 7 miles.


Click on any image for an enlargement.
*

*

No comments:

Post a Comment